Sign in to follow this  
mark_d

Woodlice Substrate

mark_d    39

As above I'm looking to see what people us. Currently I have 2 cultures going, one with coco husk and leaves the second with Eco earth and leaves (mites present)!

What do you use and why for best production?

kev    78

hi mark,i currently have 2 large cultures of white tropical woods on the go and all i use is tea bags,i split them half open and add new ones every couple of weeks onto the old ones,these cultures are thriving with no mites present in them,all the bags are used ones.hope this is of some help.

• Like 2

kev    78

no pics im afraid,havent got a clue with computers!!!so bad its scary...was given a small culture ages ago and thats how they were doing it,so i just rolled with it!the old saying,if i not broken dont try and fix it.when you rip open the older bags they are crammed with babies,they seem to love it,i think they must munch the decaying leaves which kind of makes sense..

• Like 2

gouldianmax    399

Wow never heard of that before Kev. I will give that a try thanks. What else is in the container with the teabags... eco earth or?

regards

Gordon

kev    78

nowt gordon,after a while they sort of just compost,bits come out of the ripped bags and it sort of makes its own substrate,ill try and get a photo up,dont hold any breaths,im defo worse than you gordon on comps,no face book and all that carry on..lol

• Like 2

Mantas    207

Thats totaly new to me as well, will try in next culture. But just wondering,or fruit tea and etc will be ok, as its black tea bags.

gibbo156    115

I have collected two days worth of used tea bags and put them on top of one of my existing cultures.

Hopefully they will get populated with woodlice and then i can move the tea bags into a culture box of their own and start a new culture.

I intend to do exactly the same for the new teabag culture as i have done with the others, i.e. have one end wet and the other end dry and ventilated.

Thanks for this new and interesting method Kev !

I've got grey and white woodlice to try this with.

Has anybody given any thought to trying springtails like this ?

• Like 1

kev    78

gibbo as for trying springs like this, one of my cultures have them in,they live in it but never get up to any numbers.i bought some greys a while back and kept them on coir with cardboard and they died out,wish i had tried to keep them this way as the whites thrive.My actual springtail cultures are going through the roof at the moment by keeping them really wet(wetter than a otters pocket)but maybe thats another thread..

gibbo156    115

Yep,  i seem to have springs in some of my woodlice cultures as well. Same as you, they are there but never seem to multiply much. I suspect that the woodlice are keeping them down somehow.

I think i will try the springs on tea bags sometime anyway. They might get on OK if there aren't any woodlice in with them.

Now, here is a thought. I've got coffee grounds to get rid of as well.

I've been thinking about these for some time. Mainly because slugs hate them so much.

I was given a "grow your own mushrooms" kit recently, it uses coffee grounds to grow oyster mushrooms.

I wonder if coffee grounds could be used to grow some live food ..............

• Like 1

kev    78

This thread has opened up a hole new can of worms,so to speak!as for mushrooms ive picked a few in my time ;) but never grew em!

if nowt the coffee cultures will smell nice!

gouldianmax    399

Kev if you ever have any excess livefood you want to sell please give me a ring and i will buy it from you. I am crap at rearing livefoods, i think it is because my frogroom is so humid. i am always almost running out of everything when my frogs are breeding well.

regards

Gordon

kev    78

gordon next time we meet,at the latest the manchester trip i will bring you some,my pleasure

• Like 2

Stu    426

Kev,I'm one of those organic composter grow your own guys. there is no surprises here for me. I have a small grey native springtail that loves tea bags,and that love is also shared by our native iso,if you dug way back into my threads you might just find pictures.

Gordon,the humidity won't affect springtail cultures,it might just mess with some iso,  ie GO,not fast grey or DW though. Mate grab a dehumidifier for the frogroom,I had to do the same maybe two years back,this tool now almost heats the room,the oil rad is there always on stand by,but bulk heat comes from the gizmo sucking up excess moisture.

best

Stu