Sign in to follow this  
Guest Spanner

Making New Cultures for White Tropical Springtails

Guest Spanner   
Guest Spanner

I would like to help forum members feed and make new cultures of White Tropical Springtails,  in order to be able to feed there young and small dartfrogs with a live food that I think is one of the very best.

I do not say my way is the best or only way, but I have had great success over many years while I developed and used this method 

If you like what you see and care to share it on your facebook with others that would be fine by me.
just click the link below 

Regards David Birkbeck  

PART 1

PART 2

Bazzle24    21

Great vids very helpful any chance we could get a list of the ingredients for the food it would help its said a bit fast in the vid

B'wood Bob    5

Jeez - these babies eat better stuff than I do! ;)

I've had a go at tropical white spring tails and have used an ABG mix (so it can go straight into the viv before any frogs go in) and feed them on powdered fish flake food, and they bloom pretty well - though not like David's :o (wow there really are lots of the wee beasties in there).

Mantas    207

Saw this videos its good :) but as far did research many people using charcoal instead of substrate, to avoid mold :) .
But receipt of food looks interesting as well :) .

Aberreef    217

I started to use Davids method a few weeks back and can't believe the difference :D  I used to struggle with springtails but now got more than enough. My baby pums send their thanks to Mr Spanner :D

Saw this videos its good :) but as far did research many people using charcoal instead of substrate, to avoid mold :) .
But receipt of food looks interesting as well :) .

No problems with mould in a strong springtail culture mate, that's what they eat ;)   If you do get some you've put too much food in so just need to stop feeding and ventilate daily until it's gone ;)

• Like 1

Mantas    207

Cheers mate :) ok , if everybody so happy about receipt of Mr Spanner, we will buy equipments (as dont have that two machines) and will make it :D .

Mantas    207

What I am not understand... in many forums and topics says springtail producing in 100% humidity, but he says just little bit, what about you guys, how we you keep them>

Aberreef    217

What I am not understand... in many forums and topics says springtail producing in 100% humidity, but he says just little bit, what about you guys, how we you keep them>

With the substrate just damp but no ventilation in the culture tubs, other than opening the lid to feed/ventilate, the humidity of the air will stay at or around 100% ;)

Mantas    207

I see, had two small tubs, but when opened one yesterday its looks like have same http://www.poisonfrog.org/index.php?/topic/230-some-unknown-eggs/ . So just couple of springtails was passed to new culture, which I made just from Natural Peat and added substrate what was inside culture. Another culture was alright, but it had almost half of water, just top was dry , maybe thats stopped mites?
Will see how its go, as it sad to get rid away first culture, where is maybe some mites...maybe good idea to put everything in viv now? Where is same substrate mites anyway,than springtails (a lot of them) will hide and mites just stay before frogs slay them :D .

Mantas    207

Wanting to get that small crusher machine, seen on eBay 150w 160w and 200w , what is bets do you think? I know 200w is most, but what you advising?

Mantas    207

OMG>............ I used that receipt and after three days some worms appeared in springtail cultures , from three tubes , two have them, any ideas what is that???

Aberreef    217

Probably small earthworms, nothing to worry about as far as I know. There was probably some eggs in the peat.  Pick them out and release them in your garden ;)

I've had all sorts of worms and snails hatch out of peat/compost so now I cook it in the microwave before using.

Mantas    207

There is photo mate ;)9ovs.jpg
Looks horrible to me :D
I used peat (natural) which was stored more than one year inside my house, dark room. Dont think some eggs can survive that long :o

JohnB56    319

Can it be woodlice maggots?

Woodlice dont have a maggot stage in their lifecycle Mantas. They are probably fruitfly maggots or Fungus Gnat maggots.

• Like 1

Mantas    207

Fruit flys sits in another end of the room, don't know how they get in there and what is strange, they are in two cultures from three in that box.