sassafras

Vivarium Weight

sassafras    8

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of how much different vivs weigh when fully stocked with substrate and decoration etc.

I'm just trying to work out if I'd need to build a viv stand or if an existing unit I have would support it.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Sas

gouldianmax    406

It is very hard to say as it depends on how much water or wet substrate is in the viv. i.e if there is no water body at all in the viv it could be a third of the weight of a viv with a small water body. Also, if the viv contains a lot of water retention substrate it will be a lot heavier than a viv with a couple of inches of oak leaves and dry orchid bark on the floor. Sorry but two identical sizes of vivs could be worlds apart in weight depending on materials and dryness/wetness variations inside.

regards

Gordon

• Like 2

Nick    447

post a picture of the rack / stand and we could give you a idea if it would be ok.

sassafras    8

I figured the water content would affect the weight, I just wasn't sure it would be to such an extent.

Nick- I was thinking about buying one of these (http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/spr/29896362/) and modifying it-the shelves should take up to 65kg weight, but I wouldn't trust it personally past about 45/50 as it is, I'd get shut of the thin metal crossbrace and put in a stronger one, then coat the whole thing in wood treatment and waterproofer.

The idea was to get a unit I could keep the viv on as well as all the cultures to go with it, but I don't have the space for something as extensive as I have seen some of you guys have. Failing this being suitable, I do own a short cabinet one could sit on, but at being 38cm deep I'd need a custom viv that was shallower and wider than a 45 cube,if that would work. (37x55x45 maybe?)

Sas

Milesw    191

sassafras i use the 40cm wide version of that i have 1 x 40x40x50 vivarium in each slot

i setup a tank and sprayed it down etc and weighed it, came in at 20-21kg i think

Milesw    191

all of them have driftwood and broms etc, only thing with the rack is that its advertised as 40cm gap when its actually 39.5...

sassafras    8

Milesw- Wow that looks good! Did you treat the wood at all before you put the vivs on? Or is it still raw pine?

Gareth1988- I didn't even consider checking out makro, it's been ages since I last went but they do some decent shelving you're right, I'll have to consider it thanks

Milesw    191

it looks alot better now its all fully planted etc, i didn't treat the wood, i would advise it though!

Milesw    191

iBhxmwx.jpg?1 picture i took today, shows it about 4-5 months down the line.

stupid light is on the blip and needs replacing :(

B'wood Bob    5

You could try one of these chrome wire shelving units - they have a max load per shelf of 300kg so no need to worry about overloading, and it'll not need any further maintenance other than an occasional clean. The bottom shelf doesn't have to be at floor level, so if you're concerned about knocking the lower vivs then they can be raised up some way off teh ground (I think they do 2.5cm increments).

http://www.shopfittingwarehouse.co.uk/shelving-furniture-c13/chrome-wire-shelving-c21/chrome-shelving-unit-4-shelves-h1800-x-w900-x-d450-mm-p1098

Might be a bit more pricey than the wooden Ikea job, but it'll be a lot sturdier.

• Like 1

Milesw    191

it says 120kg UDL not 300kg. but still more than the ikea shelving, but attaching lights could be a problem?

B'wood Bob    5

Ooops, sorry. Some of the different ones I've been looking at do hold 300kg so if needed you could look one of those out.

This video shows the type of shelving and the light units are held on the wire of the shelf above.

While this one has what looks like tubes with reflectors wired onto the shelf above.

• Like 1