B'wood Bob

Fruitfly media recipe

B'wood Bob    5

Thought I'd start a thread on recipes for homemade fruit fly media. My recipe is pretty simple and lasts both hydei and melanogaster cultures about a month.

30g readybrek

10g brewers yeast powder

45mL boiled water

30mL vinegar

30mL fruit juice

a few bakers yeast granules

a twist of raffia

Made up the night before adding adults so the mix has cooled down. I usually tip the adults from a booming culture into a large plastic mixing bowl and then pooter them up (bang the bowl down to stop them escaping) in an attempt to stop transferring mites from an older culture to the new ones. I still get mites in the pots, though not sure how much effect they have on fruit fly numbers. I've just recently bought a permethrin based anti mite spray (for birds) and will wrap the base of my pots in an impregnated kitchen towel to see if will prevent mites moving from one pot to another whilst in the cupboard.

Aberreef    217

My mix is a little less precise :D

I put a box of readybrek and a box of potato flakes into a large tub and mix. If I remember I sprinkle a few teaspoons of yeast granules on top and mix roughly again.  When I'm ready to start new cultures I put a few inches of the mix into plastic pint glasses and pour on some orange juice, mixing and adding more juice until it looks like thick wallpaper paste with some dry left on the bottom.  Some wood wool goes on top and the pot is ready to go.

I tap the flies into another cup with a little Repashy to stop them climbing out then pour them into the culture pot, cover with blue kitchen cloth and done.  I stopped using a pooter after I caught a horrendous chest-throat infection <_<

B'wood Bob    5

I stopped using a pooter after I caught a horrendous chest-throat infection <_<

Oh, sounds nasty. I used to pooter bean weevils out of their culture pot until it started making me wheeze like I was an old man with cystic fibrosis. On 50 a day! Now put a piece of cardboard in and tip the weevils on it into a dusting pot. Not as precise as pootering but there you go.

I have just used this mixture..

Thank you for sharing

My mix is a little less precise :D

I put a box of readybrek and a box of potato flakes into a large tub and mix. If I remember I sprinkle a few teaspoons of yeast granules on top and mix roughly again. When I'm ready to start new cultures I put a few inches of the mix into plastic pint glasses and pour on some orange juice, mixing and adding more juice until it looks like thick wallpaper paste with some dry left on the bottom. Some wood wool goes on top and the pot is ready to go.

I tap the flies into another cup with a little Repashy to stop them climbing out then pour them into the culture pot, cover with blue kitchen cloth and done. I stopped using a pooter after I caught a horrendous chest-throat infection <_<

Colin    55

yeah, cheapest porridge oats for mine :)

I had no "fresh" orange juice for my cultures last month and after raking through the cupboards had to suffice with diluting cranberry juice - worked really well! :)

Bazzle24    21

I've obviously got way too much money and I'm way too lazy I just buy the repashy stuff works great every time........But I'm sure if i need to start making lots of cultures then I may just have to have a play at making my own 

Is it as simple as add a box of ready break to a box of mash powder add a little yeast mix with fruit juice away you go.........Hmmmm I may have to have a go and any money saved I can spend on more frogs  :D

Nick    447

I use potato flakes, oats and repashy works very well and repashy lasts ages when you "cut" it.

• Like 1

Dar    307

Like you, I use the repashy stuff mixed with readybrek type stuff , will try tattie flakes tho

B'wood Bob    5

I used to use own brand potato flakes, but thought that the fortified ReadyBrek would be better as at least some of the vits and minerals should be getting into the FFs and then hopefully onto the frogs. Same with the fruit juice instead of just water. Not sure how much difference it makes though?

Mantas    207

Hello everybody, so lets see how we done... just got Repashy fruit fly media today.  So on bottom repashy + starch ( I touched that was adviced ? :) ) and some water, than wood wool and leave true night, yes?

8ham.jpg
d678.jpg
pm9s.jpg
43pa.jpg
a9wb.jpg

kev    78

i would use more repashy,i fill my pots a quarter full,the culture will last much longer

but we all have are own ways of doing things mate.

Nick    447

looks good the pot on the left looks about the same amount i use for mels. There shouldn't be any water on the surface once you have left you mixture to settle.

gibbo156    115

Am i being thick?

I don't know what the word POOTER means, it appears several times in the thread above.

AND

How many flies should i add to a new culture to get it started ?

I have started using the mix from Advanced Husbandry with a mashed banana added.

This is my first attempt, so i'll see what happens.

Mantas    207

You can use and paper and card, as I read people do it . Its where flies will lay eggs (if I am wrong-correct me ) :) .

Mantas    207

What about this culture Nick where you gave me? now its a lot of worms there and cocoons , just moved less than 10 flies in one of culture.

Mantas    207

Like I said its taked to long get Repashy I think and most of flies now looks like worms and some larvae , so its about that I transfered in new culture, do that worms and larvae from culture where you gave me , will transform to fruit fly as well? Ordered two more cultures form local shop to catch up before getting frogs.

Mantas    207

I use potato flakes, oats and repashy works very well and repashy lasts ages when you "cut" it.

Our lasted only for 10 cultures... maybe we used to many of them?