Stu

Stu And Shaz's Dart Room

Stu    426

Here are our two hand reared red head kids,progress so far is good,i'm really thrilled and still slightly bewildered,that they are still here. We'll just have to wait and see if they keep going.  At the moment they look strong and robust and have just been moved to a bigger grow out,so I'll be glad when a couple of weeks have passed without incident, and I know all is well. I'm also a bit concerned when I move these guys.

14732720209_9e2944dfbe_c.jpg

14732806649_04d95511ab_c.jpg

best

Stu

• Like 2

Stu    426

Thanks kiddo,it's joy enough that they are breeding and we have some success,but to have so many pretty ones coming through is like having one's cake and eating it !!  

How are yours doing  Ty, I hope things are going well.  

Oh Ty have you seen the Lehmani video,a froggy mate bought us a copy,thanks Ben!!  Daniel Meija's(sp?) thoughts on clay and transfer of nutrients caught my interest especially,as this bit was totally new to me.I wonder whether this is possibly applicable to all large oophaga,damn  I must investigate clay subs soon!!!!!  Even if it's only a wallow ;)

best

Stu

• Like 1

dendros    74

ive not yet seen the video mate but a mate is supposed to be getting 1 so ill borrow if not ill buy 1 next time i see available ,i presume they claim frog absorbs minerals etc from the clay through skin ? My rhs doing fine although i only get very small batchs 1st 2 froglets 2nd 3 but 1 died just after morphing think drowned in brom axil ? so ive 4 juvis at present from1 group which i will seperate and make new group with mixed bloodline ,at what age do you take from parent viv ?there seems mixed opinions on this point ? how many offspring u raised mate if i may ask ? Ty.

Stu    426

Buddy I'm damned if I can remember the right word/s,but yes exactly that. The frogs regulate their internal humidity through the ventral patch, (mate i'm sure that is close,but not right),ie the area between the back legs on the tummy,and t is believed that same point is being used for the uptake of minerals as well. Ty I don't know what a usual clutch to rear is,but I suspect 3 is a good number. I've been told that some folks have actually reduced depo sites to stop mum rearing to many at once. Ty the guy I was talking to had a female producing around 5 if I remember correctly and he felt those kids were not as strong as they should/could be. Given what I've seen with regards to just how many eggs are used for feeding,I don't think that is a bad thing mate,I'd rather mum frogs didn't kill hersefl trying to feed to many and would also rather a couple or 3 strong kids than more not so strong.

Kids are pulled immediately I see them or leastways the minute I can catch the little sods,as you know they are a bit jumpy for the first few days,diving back in the water if spooked,which doesn't take much. Obviously the 2 above have been with me from the off having been fed by us,so they would have actually morphed in the rearing tub.  I transfer from rearing glass  to a film can as the tail shrinks some way,pretty much last minute I guess,but by god I'm watching closely here,as there is obviously a risk of drowning or tad erm legging it.  I'm raising about a dozen mate,I'm being slightly vague I don't want to hex myself..

Some folks seem to have issues if they move from the parental viv too early like pums mate. I've done both with pums,but only pulled the big guys. I think maybe having to part rear "Bromleaf" as I call here so early on,when here axil failed has maybe given me more confidence to go this way and seen  as it doesn't seem to be broke I'm not gonna fix it. but I suspect I can rear a pum quicker in viv,ie it grows faster,which seems nuts and although We've got a good few under our belts(pums) ,I'm still not 100% sure on which is best for us personally.

Ty it's so difficult with these  frogs to recommend a rearing " path",each one is so bloody precious,in a way,production is so low,experimenting is tricky,events have really shaped what we have done so far,plus dendroworks help advice and backing. So little is actually talked on with large oophaga it is almost get one's head down and find out for one's self as so few folks talk about them. Rob Melencom's posts have been inspiring and I've talked to a few other folks,but so much of captive care isn't seen on a forum. I have never talked to Rob M. but basically he set the seeds for the above two kids,by, saying one can rear a histo by other than parental means,give me another year and we might actually have concrete proof it can be done and there isn't any fallout.

I've also heard of and possibly seen in tank parental aggression,but that can be flipped with other folks seeing none of this and basically rearing the whole lot nearly to adualthood in the parental viv.. 

I think it's like everything in this hobby Ty  there are a base set of parameters to fullfill then we all go our own way to achieve success...hopefully

seeya

Stu

• Like 2

dendros    74

Great detailed reply Stu and very much appreciated mate,i think its fantastic that youve been able to raise and morph the 2 i can only hope they continue to do well after all the effort youve obviously put in ,a true enthusiast and i dont say that lightly ! I dont exactly know what it is about redheads but out of the frogs i keep they def my favourites,im always looking in their vivs more than any others but they seem to have real charm and character about them. If ever you hear of availability of nutrient clay id be very interested in giving it a try myself and just 1 more question if i may do you use uv on your vivs at all mate ? Thanks again Ty.

Stu    426

Always welcome buddy,yup 6% arcadia T5 at the moment,but wondering whether it should be higher,I've been musing that one a while now,damn I'm so slow..

Ty I think of all my frogs as equal,I actually dislike the fact that these guys ;large oophaga,are seen as the ultimate,but by the same token,I utterly understand what you are saying and why you mention that. there IS a character to them. Buddy I popped up a couple of pics in the competition thread,i'm not interested in winning much just want to contribute really,but what I was trying to get over is how they hunt,it's so precise,I think that's the best way to say it. My mysties move very similar to the RH,but they don't do this leaning to the side malarky,it's almost like the Rh are more sophisticated and basically for me that applies across the board to what they do. I think that is why one get's drawn to them,even with all the other guys bouncing  around.

Oh, regarding the clay one day I'll dig a big hole here,i'm at the base of the cotswolds which is a limestone escarpement.ie CaCO3 and live on very heavy clay. So I've always pondered,using this raw base in my vivs. I've never been able to find complete proof of my theory(I've asked many times over the years),that I live on basically a Ca enriched soil,which  is why I guess I haven't had the confidence to go there.....YET. But I'm sure I'll get there one day. All that limestone has to breakdown and run down here,just can't find proof. So maybe just maybe this might fit the bill,We've been here organic for 20plus years(i likes me beasites) so hopefully the source should contain any nasty chemicals that would harm our little mates..

Oh mate,while I was grabbing some downtime and playing pic taking  got these as well as the others,same two frogs. This is a group of 5 that I'm hoping will form the base of our second breeding group? I know big ol' moon is a fella(looks like a blummi Anchyana to me,big ol boy reared by a basti,don't ask,lol) but haven't a clue on the rest. i'm quietly biding my time with them, they can't breed in the viv they are in now.

But I'm so pleased with them

14802978128_38a31baf60_c.jpg

14966620746_0da55e40e4_c.jpg

Dude sorry so busy talking frogs I didn't say thanks,it really should have been first up, thanks buddy

with that he ran off back to the springtails,who doesn't huh :D

Oh mate rearing those 3 and loosing one  was possibly the hardest and most traumatic(difficult to qualify as if I loose anything it wrecks me),by

the same token the latter stages of the tads life were simply so joyous I can't put it into words. Buddy talking to a tad and having it dance for you is nuts it also brings us right back to the top,there is a character or maybe an intelligence to these guys

take care mate

Stu

• Like 1

dendros    74

Great pics again mate ,i cant wait to post some of mine ,its really nice to have a few different bloodline and colour /marking variants in my collection now and looking forward to seeing what comes from them,i really like the black footed/legged variants for some reason. Keep us posted on progress mate i look forward to reading results ,all good i hope ! regards Ty .

Stu    426

'Ere Ty just  thanks bro.

I would really like one of you imi breeders whom do the summersi loke alike,ie banded or intermedius to tak some pics of egg and tad development,we might all learn something,anyway here's second clutch. The first haven't faired well,5 out of 6 haven't made it,I'm going to leave that and show this half baked attempt (time) at summersi clutch development,for the crack,I haven't    seen this postd so off we go

15139715182_0bc36e605b_c.jpg

14918396169_805028a516_c.jpg

15134366561_f698672f79_c.jpg

Stu

Stu    426

Stoked,I think we have the summersi on track. We got a new female from hamm,I lost my older lass,absolutely gutted,she was so bold with me. I can offer no reason,she suddenly started fitting. Maybe she was never quite right,never having laid an egg with an embryo for me. But she taught me much about her race. I've just triggered the 3rd clutch of eggs. Only one loss from the 2nd clutch so have one bigger tad in the water and 4 smaller,so far so good. time will tell how this all pans out but the first is colouring so early I'm amazed.Pics might follow if time allows. New lass in QT doing well,so hopefully the stress of the journey across europe and from Canada is starting to evaprourate,she was out hunting earlier today,all digits crossed please chaps,been a long time coming this one

Stu 

Stu    426

It will be a hard won result this Gordon but it will happen,inching forwards slow but sure.

thanks for the wishes mate,I'll take all I can get.

ha ha bring it the hell on

Stu

Stu    426

Nearly there...froglet ootw...just !!  Pics from a couple of days back

IMG_7057_zpsc14f342e.jpg

IMG_7055_zps22e1680c.jpg

To cap it all we spotted this little guy a few days back too,he's ok so far. A bit special this one as it's the second group of bastis and we actually bred his dad,who is a mad small orange guy,mum is red.  Hopefully the new male we got earlier this year from J will kick in soon aswell. Cracking result for me this,like the summersi sometimes one takes a good while to get "there".  We have held onto the pums kids by and large and just split out some more RFB, Hopefully we'll be able to get more of them going soon too

IMG_7054_zps917fc08d.jpg

brill

Stu

• Like 3

Stu    426

Can't believe it,lost little sums tad last night,gutted. He'd even gone up to roost

hey ho,I'll be back

Stu

Stu    426

so sorry to hear that Stu

Thankyou my friend,so sad Joe so close ...just so close,arrggghhh

Not beaten though bro,will dig us out of the mire and make this one happen,but yeah

gutted

Stu

• Like 1

Stu    426

chin up fella, you'll get there one day, i know you must be in pieces being soo close, but like you said, continue to strive on

Thanks again bro,hey little pum seems to be doing ok kiddo,not all bad bro.

Maybe the struggle  to get summersi right will be even more rewarding Joe because it's been so tricky to get this far. I'm very unsure just why summersi should be like this,but  sometimes one has to just get one's head up and crack on. With the frogs getting older embyos will get stronger and eventually you'll see those pics of a little kid ,that we yearn for so much.

Promise !! ;)

Stu

Stu    426

Good Luck with these Stu. I am sure they will be fine as they mature.

regards

Gordon

Gordon sorry slow mate,I just can't keep up. They will come, slowly but surely the wind is blowing in our favour. Fertility is very good,more tads are in the water. there is still a long way to go and I'm sure I need to learn more,but nowt will stop us. I can confirm now these guys colour very early even before back leg buds start to show they show colour which is amazing to me,pics will follow as I can grab them. I'm starting to get the basics down, of the new computer one of the lads(Callum) built for us,so if time allows,I might be able to show more

best and thanks mate

stu

Stu    426

some more RFb kids another long road project all being held until such time as we have exactly what we want

15684768415_0da14fd976_c.jpg

15661073326_cef2fd2ca7_c.jpg

15686385892_d538651849_c.jpg

15499996610_46e3c12cbc_c.jpg

seeya

Stu

• Like 7

Stu    426

Hi Stu great looking frogs, def one to go on my wishlist.

Sue.

Cheers Sue,god we are thrilled with them mate,this was a really long haul just getting them:a frog I always wanted,but actually we were meant to have some cemetery bastis for Shaz and there was a mix up,then so many males. But here we are,with a rake of big kids  Now it's down to proving them out,I so hope these later batches contain some girls

thanks again

Stu 

Stu    426

Happy new year all.

Summersi,well I think finally we are there. We had our second morph out just after chrimbo  he's big strong and fat and doing well. First up size has me bewildered,way bigger than I thought,second the speed and agility straight out of the water has amazed me. I've high hopes now that he'll be ok,but reality is who knows. These were taken not long before morphout,

15460672634_5671ac1f4c_c.jpg

16162297181_198f13ee53_c.jpg

The new "female" has settled well with my little old chap,tis lovely seeing him back with a mate again. The two spend alot of time together,so hopes are high for a female. It looks very much like she is following his lead: he knows me very well,she is following him out to be fed,she is already much bolder than the breeding group. We also found another summersi tad in the ditch,sometime in dec they snuck some eggs past me and a male carried. They have just done it again,but this time there are real hopes that this is pointing towards a second female in the breeding group,as I've been pulling all the eggs,and they seem too frequently laid to be by one female.

Back in a mo.

Stu

• Like 1

Stu    426

These are some summersi tads,hopefully the next few to morph,note how similar the markings are

IMG_7938_zps8abf82cb.jpg

IMG_7937_zps1f103eeb.jpg

IMG_7936_zpsc332babb.jpg

IMG_7935_zps3d570fee.jpg

IMG_7933_zps129b6f31.jpg

IMG_7934_zps030dea01.jpg

• Like 3