Joe,sorry mate,not keeping up well at the moment,da quite stockmans voice huh

couple of pics for the crack: two of a goodly handful of RFB kids kicking about

14273949053_682244aee5_c.jpg

14251669252_2e80d002f5_c.jpg

seeya

Stu 

• Like 2

Stu    426

2;2 Nick Started with 4;2 I was meant to have 3 pr,but the 3rd female was never forthcoming so swapped one for an outcross female basti. One male was very aggressive,so I puled him. This ratio is around 12 months in and working.For me it's simple,all frogs are individuals,put the wrong ones together and issues start,but if they get on,it's another story. 

We as keepers need not to follow rules,but learn from our frogs,two male pums  do not always kill each other,that it not true,i'm watching it and posting pics of the result ,but one needs to be aware of what can happen and then my friend,one watches like a bloody hawk

best

Stu

• Like 1

Stu    426

Way back in dec 2012 we were very lucky to be given the chance to keep some large oophaga: histrionica redhead,by the guys at dendroworks. Guys time is very short for me at the moment so basically i'm going to post a few photos,to show you what's been going on with them,but a more in depth approach is over on RFUK,I'd rather not pull guys away from nick's forum,so you'll have to dig and if you want to ask please do it here. I hope this is ok Nicky.

These are when they first went into viv after a spell in QT

Drake

IMG_4172.jpg

JT( it's written on her side)

IMG_4166.jpg

This is there viv,built long long before frogs when we could only dream of large oophaga,the design I've completely fluked,built in laying sites(two film cans cut into the tree RHS) big brom up front,for tads,where we could see everything,rocky background like where redheads are found,a complete fluke. What's been unreal is the whole shebang has worked like a charm

IMG_4185.jpg

Drake full grown

IMG_4461_zps4467c2aa.jpg

Early stages of development of a clutch

IMG_4920_zps2e98a70f.jpg

tad ready to be carried

IMG_5024_zps8c1ce0ee.jpg

Around june july last year they came of age

• Like 1

Stu    426

Axil holding tad,right up front right under my nose,couldn't wish for more

IMG_5100_zpsf4b30cb1.jpg

Jt,well I did say...doing what she does

IMG_5227_zpsd687b821.jpg

Tad 

IMG_5181_zps317ea78c.jpg

Just ootw

IMG_5243_zpsf2b83d69.jpg

Stu    426

Jt feeds her kids well,it concerns me that a young frog lays so much so early on,I've never seen pics like this before,so one has little to base what is normal

11074156494_f271e55579_c.jpg

An axil carrying a tad failed,dumping tad on the floor,we put tad back in a film can,hoping mum would find him,she didn't so we chanced our luck,no choice and we fed him

10535219284_d889be84e2_c.jpg

To my utter amazement he kept going

10747353143_b17d9bf347_c.jpg

and is still here and looks like this,meet BL(brom leaf,I'm brill with names huh)

,just so damn stunning

13956695572_ebc1d62142_c.jpg

JT lays two clutchs,almost always exactly timed for her kids to morph,they morph she carries,my fears about her burning herself out were getting ever greater,I saw a perfect storm of events approaching...mabe I could pull some eggs,slow her a bit and,keep them going until the bastis kids morphed,it was hairy,but  a few months later

11438362763_d1b1d971f7_c.jpg

• Like 2

Nick    447

that's fine with me Stu we lot just like looking at pics anyway ;) Like is said before the young have come out great.

• Like 1

Stu    426

That little guy was strong I remember watching as I hand fed him taring at eggs to get in,we did two like this,he was the stronger and got the thin end of the wedge,my looking out for him longer,it was touch and go when he came ootw,but he wasn't giving up. That strong little guy started feed and boy didn't he feed,his growth has been astounding,he is our biggest kid,and wonderful to say started calling for the first time yesterday

Meet Moon as a scrublet

12389368055_dffa3dfd2f_c.jpg

and as a stonking great male

13936590836_dc7bdd90ac_c.jpg

The eggs continued two clutches numbering 17 if i remember,so instead of letting her have them all we pulled one and tried to hand rear,yeah I know madness,but JT is so special to me . Go to robbster.com...look for alternatives for obligates that's basically what I've done,which pretty much brings us up to yesterday,I lost most but 3 in days,they never fed,but 3 did. I've hung in there with them,but really and honestly I had given up,water quality is a nightmare,in a few weeks we might just have more to this story,but at this time were are here. I have 3 little guy whom know me really well,do tad dances for me at dinner time,the whole thing is simply nuts,but I have hope now real hope

14272845722_24dcc12626_c.jpg

14088327510_c43ccb8d8a_c.jpg

14088349940_4d14017d5d_c.jpg

Ya know guys these  little frogs and this malarky have taught this old guy something,when ya really want and if you are stupidly stubborn it can happen,even when you have lost hope and think it's best to call it a day digging in sometimes leads to places ya never dreamed of. As a frogging experience it's been a bloody rollacoaster highest highs and real hard core lows but we've been so lucky so have seen what we have what an education !!

The next time JT laid as the kids came ootw,I threw her eggs away,instantly dropping humidity and feeding,she laid another small clutch they were pulled too,they were dried off and resting for a couple of months ,we have just upped everything swapped out the main depo brom with the wet weather of late and off we go again,tads are already in residence,well I can see one anyway

seeya

Stu

• Like 1

Stu    426

Thanks Nicky,have one on me then :D

Here's one we call puzzle

13956787791_2d88bb3f3f_c.jpg

Stu

• Like 2

dendros    74

Really pleased to see you having success with rhs Stu they really have an appeal to me,hope they continue to do well for you we need more bloodline in the hobby ! Ty.

• Like 1

Stu    426

Really pleased to see you having success with rhs Stu they really have an appeal to me,hope they continue to do well for you we need more bloodline in the hobby ! Ty.

Thanks mate ,man they are a joy to care for.   Ty I'm really hoping for Ivan(Teseros for others) to give us the chance of new blood,essentially this "small" redhead,there is another larger, has been pretty much wiped out, from what I can gather by smugglers. Hopefully they haven't found them all.  It's desperate really,one gets this joy,but it can't be at the expense of the wild brethren

Best

Stu

• Like 1

pa.walt    26

I think stu is a show off with all his baby histo  frogs... :P :P because he knows we don't have these in the u.s. ;)

• Like 1

Meefloaf    84

I think stu is a show off with all his baby histo  frogs... :P :P because he knows we don't have these in the u.s. ;)

nah, that'd be him posting pics of his mysties and all their wonderful babies on dendroboard :D 

Stu    426

Meh  I've had some mares about mysties, but only posted,when needing to tell the truth on DB,was asked by the owner of the den to post about them there and a shit storm followed,which ironically I only picked up on months later,how are we to know though if no one educates up here?..

But basically,your post is incorrect Walt,you DO have redheads in the US  Robert N is breeding some stunning frogs spaff has some Cris K has some also breeding some stunning kids,have a dig Walt I don't really know any of them ,just picked up all that off your forum DB

Actually Walt  I would have posted about them here way back Just wanted to get on with learning about them and helping newer guys than I here.get started.   But it's become apparent to me that if I don't show source and don't show history of what I've done,some goof will think I've suddenly aquired a load of adult histos and they are smuggled,and these most certainly are not.

Oh and bro I do get the humour in you post,it's taken the right way dude B)   :D

thanks mate they are lovely I do hate the "special" thing about them though,still think getting a tinc to WC size is equally difficult as breeding these ,but hell we are so working on that one,ya gotta love da puppies ;) 

best

stu    

• Like 1

pa.walt    26

I know at least 2 people that have histos here in the u.s. they never show pics of them.  :(

also same goes for the mistis. the people I talk to say there a some here in the states. and stu I do enjoy your posts/pics. to my knowledge these were never posted to db were they. 

again I really like to see your vivs and frogs. plus whoever posts pics of their stuff on here.

maybe stu need to get a site and call your self uk frog whisperer :)

• Like 2

Stu    426

Yeah buddy i've heard rumours of mysties over with you guys as  well.It's so sad and complex Walt.  There is no need for a mystie to ever be taken from the wild again,with good fortune they can be prolific and are such wonderful frogs to care for.But if a market the size of the USA opened up,then some moron might try to smuggle them again. I think that single factor is the stumbling block that will always stop you guys from keeping them.  :(  It's a crying shame,because if these were built up in numbers by say UE and then released,I would think a goodly sum could be raised to help conservation projects back in S.america. I really wish this was different Walt,so damn sad really

Walt these are the first pictures of our redheads I've posted anywhere apart from RFUK,a couple of days back.  It's mainly the above notes that have made me think on doing this. Hell we all like seeing froggy pics and hearing a story froggy related, I think most folks are worried about either the flack they will get (frogs of dodgy origins) or being bombarded by PM's,so they fly under the radar.Again this is a shame as there is little in the way of knowledge  for the general keeper to dig at. which seems even more important now, with the work of Teseros and Wikiri.  But yeah I'll be posting pics on my room threads over there when I get chance,I've nowt to hide just too bloody busy is all

Well lets just  say there is already a froggy whisperer with you and I am way to much of a nobody to compare my self with him,but hell I talk to frogs and they know exactly who I am,as I've detailed earlier here. But that's a lovely sentiment mate cheers for that!! 

I've...We've just been incredibly fortunate  Walt,that's it,lucky as hell we were given a huge chance by the Dendrworks guys that I'd wanted for yonks,and turned down twice before,wasn't ready,and got lucky.

belucky mate and thanks for the kindness

Stu

Mantas    207

Same as Gordon :) I like them, but they to expansive for me now :))) , but one day ;))) .

Do they nice? :) Bold? :)))

Stu    426

Good luck with the redheads Stu. Would love some of those some day but out of my price range at present.

regards

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,they are not cheep for sure and we saved and went without other things for a long long time to get them.  Tis hard mate the price excludes some keepers,I'm not really happy on that one at all,. They should be in the hands of good keepers not rich keepers. That said mate,I'm a care worker on close to min wage.

In some ways they are the culmination of the ethos as the whole room,the home made racks the vivs made from rubbish glass the plants grown from one. It's ponderously slow and one grafts for everything like a B*****,but it can be done.

Genuinely though buddy,I am still in wonderland,I really can't fathom just how we got here.

Mantas they are brown frogs peppered with gold,sure they are nice. :D

Are they bold,well they are ours,some of our frogs came here shy,but it doesn't often last.My male summersi was very shy when he came here,his lady not so bad. the new summersi are shy of us at the moment.That male summersi now comes up to the front to see if I will feed him and stays put when I open the door,the others will too ,but I /we win their trust,with time and patience. So the adults are bold with me and Shaz,they know us  some of the kids are shy at first.some bolder. So yup we see then doing everything they do,the different calls the courtship egg laying, they don't seem scared by us at all.But I can't speak for all of them,just the ones here. I say this a lot know mate,I just think all frogs are individuals,even with so called shy frogs some are bolder with bold frogs some are shy,but it all seems to get better with time

best

Stu

• Like 1

Nick    447

Good luck with the redheads Stu. Would love some of those some day but out of my price range at present.

regards

Gordon

Give it another year or so Gordon there's loads these in the UK now, people will be flogging these like they did with the benadictas :)

like you Gordon I'm a poor frogger or maybe a patient one ;)

gouldianmax    406

I am hoping the prices come down a bit as well as availability as it does seem a bit of a secret club of who has these frogs in the u.k. in my opinion.

regards

Gordon

Meefloaf    84

I am hoping the prices come down a bit as well as availability as it does seem a bit of a secret club of who has these frogs in the u.k. in my opinion.

regards

Gordon

they do seem to just POP up out of nowhere these, either randomly coming up for sale or just random pics. Stu's the first i've seen come forward and put some info about them, that i've seen online anyway. seems almost like they are widely kept just not talked about, i have heard that they are sought after and that people dont 'fess up' to owning them as they dont want a barrage of emails asking for some kids.

They are my "holy Grail" personally, one day i will be able to afford them and also be ready to rear them.

gouldianmax    406

I agree, I am very pleased that Stu has put some pics and info on here about his frogs. I was under the impression that according to dendroworks website they never sell any redheads and only consider swaps to improve bloodlines. Well done Stu.

I think if things are kept secret, like on the secret invitation only dartfrog website i have heard about (but never been invited onto, as i must not be worthy lol ), how is the hobby going to improve and how are we going to increase the numbers of people in the u.k. getting interested in the hobby.

Also, before anyone asks what dartfrogs i keep, and are they legal, all of my dartfrogs have paperwork from the relevant breeders from several countries in europe. The dartfrogs I keep are: Casti's, Yellow Terribs, Tricolor Santa Isabel, Citronellas, Banded Leucs, Netted Leucs, and Yellow Microspot Auratus ( Golden ) at this present time.

I also invite any newbies to the hobby on regular occasions to visit my frogroom to give them help and advice regarding the hobby, in fact one is calling round to visit tomorrow morning.

What is the point of everyone keeping secret what they are keeping / breeding? How is the hobby going to grow if everyone keeps their types of frogs secret? Of course this is just my opinion and everyone is welcome to agree or disagree.

regards

Gordon

• Like 2