Stu

Stu And Shaz's Dart Room

Stu    426

Is it the clear stackable ones in the four picture of your first post you are using to grow out young in?

Yes Paul,for larger frogs from scratch,ie ootw,but we also use some smaller ones from ikea,called krus for tiny things,oophaga/rani to start with. the ikea are the dogs ***** Paul,butthey don't come in a big enough size for the larger frogs,but once you have seen one,the clarity,plus the lid design is perfect..

As I meander though all this mate,you'll get a better breakdown on these tubs. I'm sure there are better than the wham/tesco ones out there,but they work well and are so cheep easily aquired,that we use them constantly.  

It is part of our mantra to always have a few set and ready to go. Obviously a lot of folks plonk new frogs in viv anyway here,but I think there are real benefits to QT,which in part I've outlined. But beyond that how many times does a long wanted frog come up for sale and one hears the phrase oh if only i had a viv set up. That never happens here B) 

A little story to illustrate how we all should have a spare tub or two kicking around:

If someone said are funghi any potential problem,we would all say no,but we had a tub suddenly get taken over by what seemed like yellow dust,we suspect the spore stage of slime mold,to be the 'cause.. I had one young male tinc in there,the inside of his coco hut was also covered,little frog looked like death,this happened so quick it was untrue,totally unpredictable.  for most it would have been a complete mare involving rushing around setting something up quick. We just grabbed a new home,gave froggie a damn good wash,popped him in ,by the morning he was a happy chappie without a care in the world. Being able to move quick like that probably saved him.

How ever hard we all try,we can't see what's coming next,just cannot predict it,that was a total one off,I've never come across anywhere,but t he spare set tub meant no drama.

Look guys I'm a fussy sod,many have said kind words about our set up, it's evident we try to build our frogs a cool home to live their lives in and put thought into it.  So there is no way I'm happy with tubs as a proper home for a dart frog. But as a stop gap,or QT or growout the frogs do well,if set up right. It takes little time or money to make them,they stack are quick to set up and quick to strip out burn contents and clean/ reset.So I use them and advocate them until such time as I can find something better,they are just a great backstop!!

Stu.

• Like 1

Stu    426

Mt Atachibakka,breeding female. note the weight,slightly under while not breeding,but note the skull bones are not visible,possibly indicating the frog to be under weight. That's what we tend to look for, the back of a frog gives real pointers as to health and weight in my eyes,as you can see the stomach isn't such a good indicator,she looks really fat in the last shot

12976756613_2e829275e4_z.jpg

12976697213_f24472fb52_z.jpg

12976460423_179464e730_z.jpg

and her fella hunting ,just about to strike

12976800374_614fe1918c_z.jpg

seeya

Stu

Meefloaf    84

" But beyond that how many times does a long wanted frog come up for sale and one hears the phrase oh if only i had a viv set up. That never happens here B)"

it saved me a load of money when i visited you, but if i'm honest, i would've loved to have taken those mysties then and there mate

Stu    426

Thank you mike

Talking of awe,how about these.My heartfelt thanks to Richie for thinking of us and making this happen,we've been trying to crack summersi for ages now,but our female doesn't lay eggs with embryo's in,so Richie manged to grab us some genuine UE summersi hopefully two young pairs. They are not quite adult yet,but hopes are running high here,for some luck sometime late in the summer. I also must thank my mate Ben for his part in all this and getting them up here.,beyond the call of duty mate !!

Massive thanks lads we're totally stoked with them!! they are moving about well in QT and starting to feed,seem fairly bold too at this early stage

13062267765_3c47472335_z.jpg

13062669534_dca3ecc2f0_z.jpg

13062414555_07d3ff1f28_z.jpg

13062606453_4844335d2a_z.jpg

seeya

Stu

• Like 1

Stu    426

Nick good ol' Richie and Ben did us proud I really could not be more pleased,as you know we are so damn close to breeding these,but never got that  good egg ,so hopefully this year sometime we can break that.

I know it's very early yet,but considering they have just been halfway around the world,Canad France Germany blighty plus given I know some are a bit shy,i'm amazed. at just how settled and bold they seem at this stage. One other thing of note is that they are hanging together as a group most of the time. Thy are very aware of us and pretty damn fast I might add,but they aren't diving for cover even when their tub is opened.  Bloody stoked,lets just hope it all goes well now.

Especially a black and orange thing that moves just like a little robot Joe,ahh bless.  Actually mate this movement is a real indicator of species I think. these oft get confused with their imitator counter part,but the imis move so differently,i've seen both the imis also have a slightly different shape,markings are pretty much identical,with some obvious nuances between individuals in both species. The oft quoted imis have gold below the eye,summersi above is not reliable 

bloody stoked!!!!!!

Stu

Stu    426

Paul,tis the lines

Gordon/Ty thanks lads,I know what to do and how to get them breeding,we just need a bit of luck now and some eggs with embryos,thanks for the wishes both i'll need all I can get,I need this one now!!

thank you

Stu 

Stu    426

Yes you should Miles,cracking little things they are,they remind me of marmosets,the  jerky movement and way they look at you is adorable.beyond that who couldn't be smitten by a frog that wears eye shadow...bless

thanks for the wishes,I'l take all i can get ta :D

Stu 

Stu    426

Joe,thanks for this,mate you are good at finding this kind of thing,me hopeless,you couldn't find a similar banded imi video could you please.  Joe it might just give folks some idea of the difference between the two species that live together and are so damn difficult to ID. 

No worries if you can't mate,but thanks for the above anyway B)

best

Stu

Smug    63

This images is not mine it's from a google search but shows the imi top left and real thing bottom right.

whole-dude-whole-colors-black-and-yellow

It doesn't show the difference in movement but you can see the size and pattern differences with the imi's having very variable patterns and stripe placement.

gouldianmax    406

Great pics.

Wow, very similar looking frogs. You can understand why some people have mixed them up. Does every summersi have the bands over the eyes?

regards

Gordon

• Like 1

Dar    307

Great pics.

Wow, very similar looking frogs. You can understand why some people have mixed them up. Does every summersi have the bands over the eyes?

regards

Gordon

When I read up on the differences I beleive id found that the summersi usually always have a pentagon shape around the head that goes over the eyes?

Stu    426

Great pics.

regards

Gordon

Joe thanks

Paul thanks

Gordon no as above, this although oft quoted as a defining feature is not completely reliable.  Summersi have a totally different call and are a bit bigger but the mimicry is amazing isn't it. the very best of us ie Twomy and Browne have struggled with this,so getting good line info is stupidly important here. One of the euro dealers sent summersi here last year I think that turned out to be imis. That's part of the reason i've been so slow to get more,they HAD to come from UE.  I saw those frogs,imis sell for less,so someone was pulling a fast one there,in europe. It's part of the reason I'm so grateful to Richie B,I absolutely needed someone I could trust,who better than a guy whom has been helping us since we started 

Gordon,I strongly suspect summsi to be less frequent breeders than the imis. They seem to breed sporadically,now obviously i haven't kept the imitator ,but although we have never bred summersi We have both watched courtship and egg laying repeatedly,they seem to kick in every 3 months or so,but not repeat lay. Naturally I can't be sure on this yet,but that's what i'm seeing over the last year or two

Here's that thread started by Dar,worth looking at the links provided in it too

:http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ranitomeya/117809-summersi-banded-imitators.html

best

Stu

dendros    74

i was advised that they were extremely shy wheras imi banded very bold ,be interesting to know your view on this Stu re shyness ? Stunning looking frogs and i obviously glad someone doing their best to breed them .

gouldianmax    406

Thanks for that Stu. So really, after I have read that link, I would only be advised to buy from an honest source as you have done with RitchieB.

thanks

Gordon