Stu

Stu And Shaz's Dart Room

Stu    426

Here is where we are after 3 years of keeping:

Lets start with the all important food,maybe I'm ocd on this,but I sleep well. 

26 3L iso cultures,they seem to do really well up there on top of the rack

12747981084_1c770cd090_z.jpg

Into my son's ex bedroom,now the bug room

more iso

12661927084_5478fdb224_z.jpg

More iso,springtails and some growouts getting ready for use

12661338545_75a867e4af_z.jpg

12661741454_4845567571_z.jpg

More springtails,all the floorspace under the racks is also taken up with springtails,actually in the frog room

12661867954_d579b89f5b_z.jpg

The 12 viv rack

12661680674_a67e37e196_z.jpg

• Like 2

Stu    426

Some vivs:

Red frog beach prove out viv

12661146875_df3571c17e_z.jpg

Summersi viv

12661488624_a7168c387e_z.jpg

I'm hoping that this will hold more summersi one day,our pr don't lay eggs with embryos in,I won't part with them ,but really want to breed this species,

12660955335_d3a9d644d0_z.jpg

Macheto viv

12661347184_b68f8fa6cb_z.jpg

Attachibakka

12660810985_49d46d3890_z.jpg

Grow out,I might come back to this

12660863943_c220190ef6_z.jpg
  • Like 3

Stu    426

More:

Superblue auratus

12747270333_b07900fb10_z.jpg

Red frog beach breeders

12697311245_069da7bd26_z.jpg

One I'll come back to

12697537223_6461aea61f_z.jpg

To complete this rack,the Cemetery basti viv.

12661692703_e5e2b1e092_z.jpg
  • Like 4

Stu    426

Over to the other rack

Leucs
12747186203_96eb2da32e_z.jpg

Mysties

12747406984_a4329f77ce_z.jpg

Panama Special auratus

12747315744_c0aa9aa3fa_z.jpg

Azuereus

12697617293_ac55c13113_z.jpg

• Like 3

Nick    447

looks great Stu you have done amazingly well. I was going to ask you fancy doing a new post on how to build fake rocks so I can pin it for peoples reference.

gouldianmax    406

Well done Stu, every viv is stunning. You're frogs are certainly well looked after mate. A good point for new frog keepers who keep asking questions about what backgrounds to use...they can surely see from your lovely pics that if they grow climbing plants, within a few months the back and walls of the viv are covered in plants.

regards

Gordon

Mantas    207

Its one of most beutyfull things in live what I ever saw in this hobby . You are wizzard of vivariums. Fantastic, so wonderfull, they even have names... its unbelievelbe mate!
Wish to see it in real one day. so wish.. What lights do you use? As see plants superb like it.
As well, what you growing in propogators mate? :)
Thx

Stu    426

looks great Stu you have done amazingly well. I was going to ask you fancy doing a new post on how to build fake rocks so I can pin it for peoples reference.

Nick thanks mate. I'll try and sort something out next build for you,but don't hold your breath,I seem to not know which way to turn at the mo. 

Thanks again for all the support over the years kiddo

best

Stu

Stu    426

Well done Stu, every viv is stunning. You're frogs are certainly well looked after mate. A good point for new frog keepers who keep asking questions about what backgrounds to use...they can surely see from your lovely pics that if they grow climbing plants, within a few months the back and walls of the viv are covered in plants.

regards

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,lovely words mate. I'm very fortunate there are two of us grafting away at this!!

I spend a lot of time on backgrounds,I like getting little niches and hidey holes all over the viv,but you're right I then cover a lot with the climbers,I love the look they give a viv. Plus they give those niches more security and help keep the humidity high.  I try to use the slower growing ficus Gordon,but once almost any plant is happy,they seem to grow like bloody weeds. So I spend a fair bit of time with a machete :rolleyes:  cutting back..

Again thanks for the long term support/kindness mate

best

Stu

Stu    426

Its one of most beutyfull things in live what I ever saw in this hobby . You are wizzard of vivariums. Fantastic, so wonderfull, they even have names... its unbelievelbe mate!

Wish to see it in real one day. so wish.. What lights do you use? As see plants superb like it.

As well, what you growing in propogators mate? :)

Thx

Ty thank you kind Sir!!

Mantas and again thanks!!

buddy as I mentioned to Gordon we have to cut back regularly,but the cutting all get burnt. We have a fair collection now,so I try to be careful about cross contamination.  This leads us to the propagators. We keep a large stock of plants  that have never come into contact with frogs,that is what you have seen,this is some of them:

12661517375_afd1040606_z.jpg

These are many reasons,first up I know exactly what the plant is grown in and no pesticides have been used,or fertilizers,second I no they haven't come in to contact with other frogs. Third I can plant up a viv with some mature plants if I want to. I make new plants from cuttings of stock plants,this saves me a little bit I guess as I only buy one plant normally,then work it up. In all honesty I would like to use/grow a wider selection than we have now,but it isn't easy growing things in the winter here. Our vivs are quite simple really,I don't use many coloured plants,many the green ones. I guess when I look at pictures of a rainforest,it's all green and brown,so I tend to follow that.

Most of the  plants we actually use don't need that much light,ie ferns and ficus,so our vivs are not very bright. I think the frogs ,by and large like this!!  Broms need more light,so I use them right up top,as a rule,if I have them in viv. I guess the more vivs we build the harder I try to make an actual place,if you like,in a rainforest. I try to find pictures of where a particular frog lives and try to build that. We use arcadia 6% D3 UVB and LED strips,around 6500kelvin,but not very high in watts. For example the leuc viv,has 24watt T5 on in the middle of the day plus 7.5 watt of good quality LED strip,running at 1680 lumens/M.  LED strips are not all the same,this is not a cheep one. the leds run for 12 hours.  If a plant is happy and put in the right place regarding lights,they seem to do well for me,some die occassionally,but I always have something else if I need it.  the Leuc viv is 60cmx60cmx60cm, so you can see that isn't much light for a big  viv, but you can also see  it   works well for us.

I also have some very fast growing plants like tradescantia(inch plant?) that I use in the tubs for froglets, but I would never use this in viv as it grows so quickly. But being easy to propagate and fast growing makes it ideal for the young frogs,when they leave a tub,I simply burn it along with every thing else. This way each new set of froglets start in a new clean tub ,with new plants etc.  As I say we have quite a few frogs now and although i have had some testing done it's part of my way of being careful.

I also use these tubs to QT any new frogs,I find it easy to watch them without disturbing them in a tub. I keep them here normally about 3 months and then they go into a viv. It takes all the worry out of not being able to see a frog in a viv ,as they often hide after exploring a new home, when they first arrive here.It also means if something does go wrong early on then I don't have to strip the viv down ,plus I actually would know something is wrong with a viv,ie it's contaminated,in some way.  If you put frogs straight into a viv and something goes wrong,one doesn't know if there is a problem with the viv,or the frogs.     .

best

Stu

• Like 2

Stu    426

Great work Stu, you hardly need to keep frogs when you have viv's as beautiful as these. Love the dedication you have and the way you are willing to share with others.

Thanks Howard,I guess what goes around comes around,I get lots of help so pass it on,it's part of what i love about all this,folks look out for each other.

Ha I definitely need the frogs buddy,but it's a lovely sentiment !!!!!!

best

Stu

Smug    63

I am loving your setup, it's very much like mine but you have done it well and mine is a disorganised shambles around two large reef tanks that I am slowly shutting down to strip out and just have a frog room nothing else. I have big plant wrack now with lot of rare small tropical plant species on if you fancy a few swaps some day. I will try to sort a picture later. Anyway this not about me, great tanks very naturalistic and something I hope your very proud of. :)

Stu    426

I am loving your setup, it's very much like mine but you have done it well and mine is a disorganised shambles around two large reef tanks that I am slowly shutting down to strip out and just have a frog room nothing else. I have big plant wrack now with lot of rare small tropical plant species on if you fancy a few swaps some day. I will try to sort a picture later. Anyway this not about me, great tanks very naturalistic and something I hope your very proud of. :)

Ha I don't mind Paul tis about the frogs not so much me,ha the first thing I did was read  your new thread,ha ha I know what we've been up to. Yes I'd love to swap some plants,but I don't know how much of the rarer stuff I have to offer you fair trade,but we can muse on that.

What's really nice I guess is the simple fact we built the whole shebang, from scratch,all the vivs the racks,all of it. So yeah at times we walk in and are somewhat bewildered by it all. It was heavily planned and pondered,but there is only so far one can go before one needs to learn on the job,as it were. Bloody great journey though and the best bit it's still evolving. Froggies seem to like it all which is the important bit,but heart felt thanks for the lovely words.  

Ha I have to be organized I have a lady doing half the graft and she keeps me in line!! I take no credit,blokes 'eh :rolleyes:

many thanks

Stu

• Like 1

Stu    426

Random eye candy:

Bruiser red frog breach male

12746729093_23c16b46a9_z.jpg

Tank reared pan special auratus

12746856313_e7c3dbdc83_z.jpg

and a bigger one

12747233694_ba5bbca343_z.jpg

Spot dominant RFB male

12747650634_318f774a95_z.jpg

RFB kid

12747334945_d0505d5a43_z.jpg

Summersi female

12747607283_78f41f45fa_z.jpg

Azzie pr courting

12458044765_a38329ce35_z.jpg

big  red doing what she does,she's an ace mum stunning and pretty friendly for our pums,I have a huge soft spot for her

12439162495_c14aa6454c_z.jpg

Seeya

Stu

• Like 5

Aberreef    217

Beautiful!  As I've said before it's all Stu's fault getting me into dartfrogs since I stumbled into some of his early setups while Googling :D I just wish I could make my vivs look this good lol

One question Stu, what are the little pieces of blue cloth for?

Smug    63

I was wondering about the cloth, I assume its due to condensation building up and flooding the glass plate at the front but it may be full of pheromones to get the little frogs feeling sexy! ;)

Stu    426

Your close Paul it's an anti sex pheromone to try and make the buggers behave :rolleyes:

Guys each viv has a cloth of it's own to clean the doors with,that's all it is,naturally one  for each viv to try and negate the risk of spreading something from one viv to the next,kitchen towell and bin is another option.

Huw thanks for the kind words!!

Stu

• Like 1

gouldianmax    406

Come on now Stu, surely you dont expect us all to believe you have the frogs trained to clean their viv glass doors lol.

I know you are good but come on lol.

regards

Gordon

• Like 1

Mantas    207

Stu, thank you very much for such a kind asnwer. Enjoyed.
So you keep new frogs in Quarantine in propogatros as well? I believe its such a lot of work in your vivs :) but you can see how people are impresed :) .
Are you coming to meeting at Nick house?

Stu    426

Come on now Stu, surely you dont expect us all to believe you have the frogs trained to clean their viv glass doors lol.

I know you are good but come on lol.

regards

Gordon

Actually mate,one just makes them some little socks out of the cloth,they don't to a bad job in my eyes,but Shaz is having none of it. We have had a bit of a revolt though the bleeders refuse totally to culture their own flies,and take it from me,don't let them make you a cup of tea,it's bad on a monumental scale :o

Stu

• Like 1

Stu    426

Stu, thank you very much for such a kind asnwer. Enjoyed.

So you keep new frogs in Quarantine in propogatros as well? I believe its such a lot of work in your vivs :) but you can see how people are impresed :) .

Are you coming to meeting at Nick house?

Your welcome kiddo.

Mantas no, the grow out tubs are what I use for QT,not the propagators,sorry for the confusion. They are bought from Tesco at about £3 each,and then have two vents(6cm) cut in with a holesaw and some mesh siliconed into place,both inside and out,to prevent and risks of sharp edges harming the frogs.

Stu

Smug    63

Is it the clear stackable ones in the four picture of your first post you are using to grow out young in?