Sign in to follow this  
LukeE

New viv build v2.0 ;)

LukeE    11

After some time of working with hygrolon, I came across some dilemers which I took note of and wanted to make a new improved viv.

Here is a pic of viv v1.0

65FA1098-091F-49EB-884F-A81D60D8BDD6-156

With this model I found that the broms would root so well into the hygrolon that the root coverage was so much it slowed the moss growth. I was happy with the size 60cm x 60cm x 70cm tall. I also noticed that where there was so many broms, the hygrolon near the top would dry out very fast and found that this stopped the moss spreading upwards.

To overcome the dilemers I built the same shape viv, same size but with a water pump that was on once every 2 days to keep the whole tower damp for longer by pumping water to the top, the water woul then cascade down the tower.

This was viv v1.1

8CCF903E-25A4-419D-A6D8-6FD5A8C8DF58-156

I found that the moss started to grow much faster and would not go brown and die off! I still however had the issue with the roots growing all over. This is when I decided to the next viv.

Viv v2.0

null-7.jpg

I had the same concept of having a tower with a water pump and drip wall but in a different shape as before. I also made the tower out of different materials to overcome the dilemma with the roots growing everywhere.

I made the tower out of epiweb then covered in hygrolon. I think that the roots will not grow through the hygrolon and anchor into the epiweb (fingers crossed).

I will update as plants grow ect.

List of plants:

Orchids-

pleurothallis mentosa

pleurothallis baudoensis

pleurothallis alligatorifera

lepanthes quadricornis

Bromeliads-

Neo. Chlorosticta Hybrid

Neo. Sapiatibensis

Neo. Cheers

Neo. Spotted

Neo. Hybrid small

Neo. Dungsiana

Neo. Schultesiana Hawaii

Neo. Redwaif

Neo. Punctatisuima rot

Neo. Rubrifolia Hybrid

Neo. Rubrifolia

Neo. Hoetineane

Neo. Species

Any questions, just fire away :)

Luke

• Like 1

Nick    447

looks good Luke but what's the point of covering the epi web, could you just cover something cheap like polystyrene or am i missing something?

thanks

Nick

LukeE    11

The epiweb gives the roots something to grow into rather than hitting the poly then growing back outwards causing to cover the hygrolon. I found that on my old vivs the roots would cover all the outside of the hygrolon and the moss growth in them areas were really slow, I also didnt like the look. I did have a couple of materials in mind instead of epiweb but all did not have the same air circulation properties stopping the roots getting mold ect. Hope that answers your question?

Luke

Nick    447

Yes thanks I was confused as you said;

I think that the roots will not grow through the hygrolon and anchor into the epiweb (fingers crossed).

Did you mean you hope they do?

Thanks

Nick

LukeE    11

The first viv is accessed in the same way as the new viv. Either end has a door on a u profile runner which is lifted out. What I like about this method is there is no break in view of overlapping glass. It looks unaccessible like a clear neat box with a slice of jungle contained.

Regards

Luke

• Like 1

Colin    55

Hi Luke,

looks good - I use the TMC lights too (on aquariums and a vivarium). So far the plants are doing really well

Where did you get the Lepanthes?