Sign in to follow this  
Aberreef

Pumilio 'esperanza'

Aberreef    217

I'm amazed at the variability of this morph. My adult male is quite a dark red and the females are both a pale mauve but the young they have produced are like liquorice allsorts :D   Here's a photo of 2 that are from the same clutch

aesperanza_zpsba88da6e.jpg

Not the best picture in the world but you get the idea ;)   Mix the mad variability with a noisy male and high productivity and I think these guys are becoming among my favourite frogs :wub:

• Like 4

Richie    214

Totally underated pumilios in my opinion Huw, as we discussed the other day they are great for a big viv in large groups with all the different colours

Richie

Aberreef    217

Perhaps there'll be a big viv for the frog room, at eye level this time though; I'm fed up of staring up their ar**s on the top row :D

• Like 1

Aberreef    217

I think different morphs behave in different ways.  My Esperanza are a 1:2 trio (1 male, 2 females) and get on well.  Richie is definitely the man to answer this though ;)

Milesw    191

it all depends on size of the vivarium and the layout i believe. provide enough hiding spaces and easy access to different areas of the vivarium trying to utilize all the space provided and bullying shouldn't be a problem.

i have been told to always keep Pumilios in female heavy groups and to keep Ranitomeyas in male heavy groups, i am not 100% sure its that important if you can utilize the space like i said though. i could be wrong!

Mantas    207

you wont have a problem with juvenile frogs fighting, only adults at sexual maturity i think.

Yeah, but for example if you buying 4 frogs and its 3males and one female, what's than? Do people swap in that case?

Richie    214

Ive been keeping and breeding groups of pumilios for years with out any problems. You normally only get a problem if you keep 2 males together in a small viv as one will be the dominant one, if you keep 3 or more males in a larger viv there doesnt seem to be problems as theres not normally a dominant one.

Obviously this is just what i have found others may have had problems.

Richie

• Like 1

Mantas    207

So depends on size of viv actually, but what about another question Richie, if you buy young frogs, and all turns to be females or males, whats than? What people do than? :)

Richie    214

Unfortunatly thats the chance you take buying young frogs. If you want guaranteed pairs you have to pay more. Buying young frogs is not a problem though theres always a swap or another frog to be had for the pair needed. Most people start with young frogs but they always seem to end up with pairs one way or another

Richie

Aberreef    217

I hear the male every day and I see them occasionally when I'm feeding them. The viv is pretty overgrown though so I can't see much at all in there lol

• Like 1

What a difference. They look great I am really tempted to get some Pumilios in the future but think they may be a bit addictive!

Aberreef, can you PM me as I tried to send you a message but it wouldn't send as I think your inbox is full (its about meeting and swapping frogs this weekend).

Cheers.