Sign in to follow this  
dp1951

fruit fly culture media

kroot    256

Tried a few and settled on Repashy too. With all the various costs that's not so bad when you buy a bulk amount. Low smell problem and easy to use.

Boxofrogs    93

1 part sugar 2 cheapo mash 4 cheapo ready brek.sprinkle paprika turmeric repashy vit A. Stir to sloppy consistency when cool dust with sugar and cinnamon tiny bit bakers yeast  I call it “crapple pie” works for me cost a quid a month 

• Like 1

dp1951    4
On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:11, Boxofrogs said:

1 part sugar 2 cheapo mash 4 cheapo ready brek.sprinkle paprika turmeric repashy vit A. Stir to sloppy consistency when cool dust with sugar and cinnamon tiny bit bakers yeast  I call it “crapple pie” works for me cost a quid a month 

is this a spoonful or cupful measurement and what liquid did you use was it just water or was it  a fruit juices

Boxofrogs    93

Depends how many cultures you need have to mess around with it. I make around 6 per week so around half to 3/14 inch of sugar in standard measuring jug then double that amount by volume of potato flakes then double the new combined volume of ready break. I don’t measure really just by eye. Then just boiled water for ease of mixing.its not crucial really sometimes they boom like mad sometimes not so much mostly temp dependant. Not sure the vit a paprika turmeric essential but figure some filters down into grub. I also feed and dust every second day (general) with repashy calcium  plus then don’t feed for s couple of days once a month (so they are slightly more inclined to feed aggressively) then dust with vit a that feed.

hope helpful 

• Like 1

Boxofrogs    93

Btw you need to buy proper cheapo mash with no milk powder it’s like 36p a sachet. The vit a and turmeric turn it slightly green and it smells like cinnamon=crapple pie 

doesn’t taste displeasing! 

Boxofrogs    93

It really doesn’t matter as it’s dissolved by water granulated is fine I’ve used caster but only if ran out and nicked it from kitchen.

• Like 1

dp1951    4
2 hours ago, Boxofrogs said:

It really doesn’t matter as it’s dissolved by water granulated is fine I’ve used caster but only if ran out and nicked it from kitchen.

thanks for that

going to have a go at making some today

I have a look what sugar is in the kitchen and nick a bit when the boss is not looking