Sign in to follow this  
dp1951

what a b's some pepole are

Boxofrogs    65

Shame mate. This is the problem with pets, sometimes people buy on a whim Particularly things like fashionable dogs parrots (live 60years) and big exotics. I would have taken on a  baby Burmese python or such at the drop of a hat as a kid. In the 70s you could pick yourself up a beautiful baby alligator for next to nothing. In 3 years you’ve got something that needs a heated shed and eats a piglet once a fortnight.i look on forums and people must just have racks of sweater boxes rammed full of royal python morphs and super dwarf retics.they might as well be pictures. That’s why I went into the frogs they are at least living a similar life to the wild and are stimulated.there are turtles the size of dinner plates in my local duck pond. There was a hellbender Salamanda in one park near me! And even a pair of dummerills boas and some venomous rattlesnakes/Pitt vipers. Stupidity. They could so easily have been rehomed. People want stuffbut don’t want the work or care about the consequences of dumping animals. 

• Like 4

kroot    253

Can't argue with a word said there. Having worked for many years in the pet trade, normal and exotic I can say I have a low regard for a huge swaith of the public, and the trade. So saying there is still a good number of caring souls in both out there, and things have improved. And as for the council checking your suitablity for shop ownership and livestock sales, a joke! (well it was where I was anyway). 

Boxofrogs    65

Anyone seen any “aliens”. I know you southerners can’t move for ring neck parakeets (saw some in west mids recently). But any real beauty’s.  It’s a terrible shame Burmese pythons are eating the Florida Everglades but there is something exciting about finding an exotic alien. American bullfrogs down south.european tree frogs.  Balearic wall lizards in Kent.aesulapian snakes on regents canal.cougars(not middle aged horny ladies) black panthers.garters corns? Eagle owls in northern quarries. 

Anyone add to list. 

Oh wait scorpions in shearness docs 

kroot    253

I remember an eagle owl in our garden as a kid. Monster of a beast. Ongar rail station used to have Euro' scorpions. Painshill park in Surrey has swarms of non-indig' frogs. Not sure what flavour though. My friend phoned me while fishing there at 2 in the morning. Everytime a plane went over it set all the males off. And as for the bloody parrots!

Boxofrogs    65

I know there were marsh frogs(ridibunda?) and edible (esculenta?) but not sure if they were every confirmed as that species or hybrids. One of my best was working in a council estate as as builder when a male peacock landed in the drive! We tried to catch it to add to my dads avian menagerie but he did one onto porch roof. I was told a colony of European tree frogs was destroyed by developers.  Then as it turned out there was a change they had always been there (apparently)