Boxofrogs

New to pumilio advice pls

Boxofrogs    65

Hello all and happy new year. I’m picking up 2 or 3 possibly 4 pumilio colon in couple of months. The viv is approx 400 deep 500 high 550 wide. Intend to include multiple deposition sites and number of bromeliads. My question is in numbers and what to look for.may pop 3-4 youngsters in hope for a pair or 1.2 trio is 2.2 a no no in that viv?(guessing so) I’ve also heard that a trio will probably only produce a similar amount of offspring to a pair but I like the idea of more frogs to look at but would they be as happy in a trio. Any advice appreciated regarding these type of frog 

thanks 

john 

A pair all the way. I know you can rear them until you can sex (never heard of issues with parents and young in the viv if they are removed when they are large enough) and then split but I would go for a much larger viv if possible, I say this as pumilio are great, but super dominant when they want to be, everyone always says you can only keep tinc in pairs or they will bully each others, the pumilio are 10x worse ime. They can loose weight fast (as they are small to begin with) once they start getting targeted.

I have noticed most keepers even with a sexed pair seem give them more room that what would be expected from a pair of say rants.

Be interested to hear what people on here have to say about it, perhaps there is quite some variance in the localities?

Boxofrogs    65

Yes I thought that would be the general opinion but I’ve heard from a guy who’s kept 2.3 in a 40 cube! Apparently he lost 2 after best part of a decade then introduced 2adults with no probs goes against everything I’ve read. I’m getting juveniles so may still go 4 and split as soon as o can be sure of sexes and or pick best lookers. 

kroot    253

Every thing I've seen is pairs are safest. Beware some are very elusive. Almost never seen. Myself and Alex have both found ours to be super hiders for such bright frogs.