Sign in to follow this  
dp1951

thinking of redoing my terrarium

dp1951    1

hi thinking of doing my terrarium out

changing to a paludarium  setup but worried about the depth of the water

if it will be to deep if a frog fall into it so how deep is the maximum to have it

thanks for any help on this

Boxofrogs    45

Ive got a  paludarium the water part is maybe 6+ inches deep but the majority is covered with various bits of wood providing escape route.i lost one frog immediately but this was me putting them in too near the evening or possibly was just weak one. Nothing has gone in since ranitomeya variabilis, leucs and Anthonyi in viv. Anthonyi have been depositing tads and are doing well. I disturbed a leuc in a hut once and he plopped straight in. I assumed he was buggered as went under covered part and couldn’t locate him. A minute later he popped out started singing and his lady came and found him! I wouldn’t do a big fish tank with a bit of land type setup. You need to offer whatever animals you have whatever floor space they need then any water part needs to be additional to this frog dependent. Kept red eyes once in big vert paludarium 50/50 land water that worked. Hope is helpful 

• Like 1

dp1951    1

many thanks for the info

do you have any photos of the setup you have

so I give me a bit more ideas

Boxofrogs    45

If you look on my post of “built in viv” there is are some build photos but it’s not a great example paludarium wise. Generally speaking the best thing to do is have a deeper than normal false bottom made from eggcrate/weed fabric leave out a section as the pond. I’m glad I did it as my Anthonyi are using it and eventually I will raise phyllobates tads in there but I sometimes wish I hadn’t bothered would have had loads more floor space to plant. And when my pump goes wrong will be major pain 

dp1951    1

yes I did see your build don't know how long it took you to finish the biuld

but I need to get all the stuff to do the build then try and do it in one or two days

as I got to put my seven pdf somewhere till I get it all up and running

Boxofrogs    45

Oh! I can’t see it being very successful. If your viv is currently running the only thing you could do is make a false bottom (plastic pipes topped with eggcrate)topped with tree fern panel or the like and place that in viv. Obviously you can’t use any adhesive needs long time to cure. It took a bloody age to do mine and if I’m honest it turned out a bit crapper than I was hoping. Good luck. If you want my opinion I’d keep the viv you’ve got and start a slow burner project 

dp1951    1

I just as you say start a new viv  and take my time to get things right

and looking some way I would like it to look

here is my viv as it is now

P1010005.JPG

P1010001.JPG

dp1951    1

thanks just what I was thinking

but I don't think the boss will let me have two

she just came around with me having this one

well I can try to bribe her with a bit of bling may help

dp1951    1