Sign in to follow this  
Boxofrogs

More celebrating mediocrity!

Boxofrogs    48

F15_A5053-7662-4_D40-8_BB4-_A18_A73_E012

easy again I know but just found first Isabel clutch after searching out a girl(or two?) woo hoo. Most of them look brown bread but suppose it’s a first clutch young frog thing 

• Like 3

kroot    249

Huzzah! Great to see. Hope it was my girl :wub:. Soon you will be up to your elbows in them.

• Like 1

Boxofrogs    48

Papas got a brand new batch! 

405221-E8-9982-4-ACE-AACE-F57-C66-FEA783

hes checking on the kids. Don’t think everyone will make it but sure I counted 27eggs. Won’t post again in this subject as aware this is very easy. Just can’t believe how many they lay and how often.males are great I took this film can out and he was inside then hung around as I took photo 

i like em a lot 

just had to edit to keep promise of no more Isabel posting. 2 mins after I took photo another male jumped past looking not unlike a blackberry.already got 3 different sizes of tads in pond. What do I do? Shall I remove the females for a while? I could end up with hundreds of em I’ll struggle to feed/sell. 

4916883-A-0-E9-E-41-A0-AAC6-8-DA9-E1786-

there he is the bugger 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Boxofrogs said:

just had to edit to keep promise of no more Isabel posting. 2 mins after I took photo another male jumped past looking not unlike a blackberry.already got 3 different sizes of tads in pond. What do I do? Shall I remove the females for a while? I could end up with hundreds of em I’ll struggle to feed/sell. 

Well done mate, they're a very underrated species imo, just because they are easy and cheap doesn't mean they aren't great frogs!
I'd not be one for removing females (frogs don't tend to be at their peak if moved constantly), it is a sticky subject but if you are gonna be overrun (the market for SI's is OK but I doubt a hundreds would be able to sell!) I would remove eggs as laid if possible, I know that people who have similar issues humanely euthanize the tads with either vodka, clove oil or aqua sed. But I don't know whether people in this hobby usually discuss it unless it's a very damaged or deformed tadpole.

Boxofrogs    48

I think disposing of eggs very early is quite acceptable tbh it just didn’t occur to me.another issue is the continual laying of eggs leading to probs. I know tincs will lay loads but it’s a handful from big fatties I genuinely counted pushing 30 from basically a giant thumbnail. I’ve attempted euthanasia with vodka before now. Keep waking up again and again 

I would suggest clove oil or even better aqua sed then, you can get it on amazon and it's a 'proper' fish sedative, however the clove works very well for most people, there is just some concern that it would irritate a tad more than the aqua sed before sending it off.
I don't think any tad would be resistant to a proper fish sedative overdoes and it's the most humane way to go, I know I would choose being sedated to death as a primary option!

While there is the concern re continual egg laying and the females getting worn out I very rarely hear anyone mention issues if they supplement their frogs, if the female is struggling for certain micro-nutrients she should stop producing, and if not, she is well enough to keep on trucking. With the availability of good dusting nowadays I really don't see it being an issue?

There is the fact that with pretty much all animals the more they produce the shorter the lifespan, not sure how this relates to frogs but frankly if you have happy healthy frogs that lay constantly and naturally pass a year earlier than frogs kept in less ideal conditions I know what I would choose.

Boxofrogs    48

All good stuff Daniel. 

However. The vodka euthanasia was but japery pertaining to my border line alcoholism 

hic