Sign in to follow this  
Boxofrogs

More celebrating mediocrity!

Boxofrogs    93

F15_A5053-7662-4_D40-8_BB4-_A18_A73_E012

easy again I know but just found first Isabel clutch after searching out a girl(or two?) woo hoo. Most of them look brown bread but suppose it’s a first clutch young frog thing 

• Like 3

Boxofrogs    93

Papas got a brand new batch! 

405221-E8-9982-4-ACE-AACE-F57-C66-FEA783

hes checking on the kids. Don’t think everyone will make it but sure I counted 27eggs. Won’t post again in this subject as aware this is very easy. Just can’t believe how many they lay and how often.males are great I took this film can out and he was inside then hung around as I took photo 

i like em a lot 

just had to edit to keep promise of no more Isabel posting. 2 mins after I took photo another male jumped past looking not unlike a blackberry.already got 3 different sizes of tads in pond. What do I do? Shall I remove the females for a while? I could end up with hundreds of em I’ll struggle to feed/sell. 

4916883-A-0-E9-E-41-A0-AAC6-8-DA9-E1786-

there he is the bugger 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Boxofrogs said:

just had to edit to keep promise of no more Isabel posting. 2 mins after I took photo another male jumped past looking not unlike a blackberry.already got 3 different sizes of tads in pond. What do I do? Shall I remove the females for a while? I could end up with hundreds of em I’ll struggle to feed/sell. 

Well done mate, they're a very underrated species imo, just because they are easy and cheap doesn't mean they aren't great frogs!
I'd not be one for removing females (frogs don't tend to be at their peak if moved constantly), it is a sticky subject but if you are gonna be overrun (the market for SI's is OK but I doubt a hundreds would be able to sell!) I would remove eggs as laid if possible, I know that people who have similar issues humanely euthanize the tads with either vodka, clove oil or aqua sed. But I don't know whether people in this hobby usually discuss it unless it's a very damaged or deformed tadpole.

Boxofrogs    93

I think disposing of eggs very early is quite acceptable tbh it just didn’t occur to me.another issue is the continual laying of eggs leading to probs. I know tincs will lay loads but it’s a handful from big fatties I genuinely counted pushing 30 from basically a giant thumbnail. I’ve attempted euthanasia with vodka before now. Keep waking up again and again 

I would suggest clove oil or even better aqua sed then, you can get it on amazon and it's a 'proper' fish sedative, however the clove works very well for most people, there is just some concern that it would irritate a tad more than the aqua sed before sending it off.
I don't think any tad would be resistant to a proper fish sedative overdoes and it's the most humane way to go, I know I would choose being sedated to death as a primary option!

While there is the concern re continual egg laying and the females getting worn out I very rarely hear anyone mention issues if they supplement their frogs, if the female is struggling for certain micro-nutrients she should stop producing, and if not, she is well enough to keep on trucking. With the availability of good dusting nowadays I really don't see it being an issue?

There is the fact that with pretty much all animals the more they produce the shorter the lifespan, not sure how this relates to frogs but frankly if you have happy healthy frogs that lay constantly and naturally pass a year earlier than frogs kept in less ideal conditions I know what I would choose.

Boxofrogs    93

E8-A5-E140-11-B0-4-F35-914-D-79-D406-B62

soooooo horny.picked this pair up in a film can he let go then grabbed on again unfortunately minute the phone came out they scarpered. Not long after they managed to re kindle the frog love. 

Mucky sods 

• Like 1

My new batch of anthonyi seem to have the most incapable males, hundreds of eggs of course and not a single fertile one, maybe they just need time to figure things out, noisy gits could at least save the serenades for when they do the job right!

I just added a bunch of film canisters because I was missing egg batches even after checking every day and they were going a bit icky, my poor bromeliad leaves...

Boxofrogs    93

I’m getting the opposite problem both females are laying 20 odd and other than first clutch getting near enough 100 fertility. I’ve sold clutches of eggs and 30 juveniles there must be 10 plus juveniles in viv that gave me the slip and got 12 more new morphed + what looks like 50 tads.arranged to sell a sexed pair to slow it down  don’t want to dispose of eggs and selling multiple  clutches of pushing 30 locally will saturate any market. You are welcome to a couple of my bigger juveniles pay you back for pumilio tip off/mass vent purchase. 

kroot    256

Ha ha ha that's ma' frog! So all going well on the breeding front then!?

Edited by kroot
early morning brain rot.

Boxofrogs    93

AF9-C976-B-5-A88-417-C-B6-D3-605-F137-DD

young love. This is the pair I was less sure about and were slightly smaller. I’d toyed with idea of selling this pair or swapping for Brazil/Patricia. My bigger girl and her good looking boyfriend seem to be having bedroom woes. 

Boxofrogs    93

CBC48-F3-D-88-BD-4-F92-8920-E0-EB54-BB27

first eggs after some heavy petting. 4 eggs one looked wrong then a second bloated but these two look ok for first attempt. I honestly have only heard one croak from tincs and it was from the other viv. 

• Like 1

Boxofrogs    93

Down to one tad but first clutch so fine. Colin and  Deidres first effort. My sexier bigger pair were the ones I expected to perform. Anyway I’ve just directly sprayed Alan and Brenda directly with cool ro and he’s started calling the mucky fat so and so is following him like a puppy 

Boxofrogs    93

42938901-3323-496-E-A2-A1-B40-AF6-C2-C49

you know when your mates that good looking he just doesn’t try. 

Bog standard dart frog bit of wood bit of green    Lovely 

• Like 2

Boxofrogs    93

7-B129-EF3-6-EC3-47-CD-8-EFF-5-A72-C4321

done big water change mass feed filled reservoir put couple tads in morph out tubs ore holiday. Got a leuc and azureus clutch not quite ready to hatch so tried this. Petri dish just fits diagonally into ferrero rocher box half filled with r o oak leaves tiny amount food. Hopefully they hatch slide down absorb yolk for couple days before cannibalism begins. 

• Like 2

Boxofrogs    93

D5-C4-FB07-D167-4-F54-838-B-B9-C4-AA9-F4find nearest gas station with diesel fuel

perfect! 4 azureus 5 leucomelas no casualties. Everyone of my other 30-40 tads ok too not one death think minimum feed was key I’ve had water stagnate in the past happy one the whole. I can’t afford a fortnight off so I’ll never have to worry about it 

• Like 1