Sign in to follow this  
Boxofrogs

3. Is it the magic number?

Boxofrogs    84

Hello members. I’m getting a small accumulation of baby vents 10 in a small grow out tub some more to come.my question is do they need 3 months plus before shifting them on? I’m asking because my little leucs seems skittish and nervy but the vents seem chilled out and robust sit about when I open the tub feeding ok. Is there a standard age? I just wonder how bothered they would be in someone’s viv loaded with springs rather than keeping them in a tub?in no rush they just look hardy. What you reckon. 

Cheers

john 

kroot    256

Hello John. Vents are pretty fast matureing frogs if mine are any thing to go by. I'd say go by size and tempament as much as age with them. Moving youngsters is always a problem. I just lost two Mysties who never seemed to settle, the other two are plumping up well and seem to be fine. 

Boxofrogs    84

Thanks that’s what I was hoping to hear.i think people have different experiences with mysties from the little I’ve heard once they start breeding you can’t stop them you have to watch them temp and diet wise.ithink I read on here that they are generally not sold till knocking 6 months? What about leucs 3 monthsish for them? 

JohnB56    319

I follow the general rule of at least 3 months for larger frogs (Tincs, Auratus etc). 4/5 months for thumbnails, and 6 months for Pumilio.

Obviously if you have some that have developed at a faster rate than the others then I'm happy to let them go earlier.

Boxofrogs    84

Cheers John.if anyone’s interested here’s my rack. Not too busy now seemed to ha e stopped breeding. Hot weather? Got these 25 mm tubes at 45 degrees in rack the angle helps keep rack closer,can access back ones better and gives a bit more surface area.they foul relatively quickly so got to clean often but looking at 70 odd tads in a square foot of wall space.i know vents are super hardy so may not work for all thumbs 

8BA9F32B-99E8-4291-908F-BD74FF7ACAB7.png

• Like 2