Sign in to follow this  
JohnB56

Stranger things!

JohnB56    318

Ive always wanted an Albino frog/tadpole, don't ask me why, but I just did. In all the years ive been keeping/breeding I would have thought I would have chanced upon one but never did..until now!.

Albino banded Imitator. Also a picture of a normal banded tad for comparison.

P1000007.jpg

P1000006.jpg

and just when I thought it couldnt get any stranger/weirder!?

P1000009.jpg

A two-headed tadpole. No idea which species this was as I don't record the species on their rearing tubs. Sadly this guy didn't last more than a couple of days, but thats probably for the best.

• Like 3

Boxofrogs    45

What will you do with the albino keep/breed it. I was into snakes but the ridiculous morphs did my brain in.are these frowned upon dart frog wise, I Have seen chocolate leucs and albino vents.It’s great you e got an albino but would you keep it as a curiosity or line breed it.i like the purity of these animals. I think nature did a pretty spectacular job of creating our frogs I like the fact that this hobby doesn’t try to beat it. All the best with with him. 

John 

JohnB56    318

Well not counting my chickens because it still has to make it out of the water, and then grow on, but I have no plans at the moment other than to keep it.

I like the idea of having something that no one else has, and I'm looking forward to watching how it develops and seeing what it finally turns out like.

• Like 1

kroot    249

Wow two cool tads for the price of one post! Keep the little fella as long as you can. Love to see how it turns out.

JohnB56    318

Thought I would provide an update on the Albino tadpole.

Before I do and in keeping with the theme of the thread, ive experienced another strange occurrence. An Alanis tadpole with one spindly back leg. I'm sure many people have experienced this themselves in the front legs, including myself before the introduction of Repashy Calcium plus but never before in the rear legs.

P1000054.jpg

• Like 1

JohnB56    318

The Albino tadpole is now almost a froglet!, and should be on land within the next week. Again ive included a picture of one of its siblings for comparison.

P1000051.jpg

P1000052.jpg

• Like 3

Boxofrogs    45

Looks superb John. Do you know if these exist as albinos already or is he/she a world first? 

Would you take £70 for him ????????

thought not 

JohnB56    318
2 hours ago, Boxofrogs said:

Looks superb John. Do you know if these exist as albinos already or is he/she a world first? 

Would you take £70 for him ????????

thought not 

:lol::lol:

I'd like to think it was a world first, but I honestly don't know. As we know there is a line of Albino Vents, I have also seen an Albino Vanzolinni, I think I vaguely remember an Albino Reticulata, but Ive personally never seen anyone report an Albino Intermedius.

JohnB56    318
1 hour ago, Boxofrogs said:

So is it not a banded then? I thought intermedius was variabilis type. Thought banded was sauce? 

Yes they are banded Sauce by the current descriptions.

Intermedius was the old name for Banded and Netted.

jone5    41

It's great to see the albino next to the sibling, that is going to be a very cool looking frog.

Please keep us updated.

JohnB56    318

Cheers Nick.

Yes John I'm pretty impressed with him myself. Maybe that's what I should name him 'Little Bosta' :lol:

• Like 1

kroot    249

See the gene splicing has been going well!

'Bosta' seems to be thriving.

I did get a near all black intermedius way back, didn't do as well though.

• Like 1

JohnB56    318
On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:10, kroot said:

See the gene splicing has been going well!

'Bosta' seems to be thriving.

I did get a near all black intermedius way back, didn't do as well though.

I used to have Ukarii that used to throw out black specimens. It was interesting, but not exactly what i'd call a stunner.

IMGP0128.jpg

IMGP0220.jpg

• Like 1

Boxofrogs    45

It occurs to me that my above comment could possibly be misconstrued as a racist slur. I sincerely hope no one thinks this is the case