now I am looking at the plant side of the build

which ones to use

I would like some climbers ground cover one's

a lot of people use Bromeliads I'm not that keen on those

so looking at other plans to fill the terrarium up

ant help with a good plant list to help me would be grate

thanks

Nick    447

what frogs you planning to get as Bromeliads are a favorite for many off them.

dp1951    1
1 hour ago, Nick said:

what frogs you planning to get as Bromeliads are a favorite for many off them.

was thinking of a mix of dendrobatidae

Nick    447
17 hours ago, dp1951 said:

was thinking of a mix of dendrobatidae

ummm ok, have you done any research as that's not recommend at all. Have you kept PDF's before?

dp1951    1

done a lot of  research and I will be only keeping males so should be ok

my exo-terra terrarium is 90x45x45cm so will be ok for about 6 frogs

have seen a mix frog setup and read all about this kind of setup

not kept frogs before but have kept a lot of things from fish lizards snakes

I do a lot of  research and ask a lot of thing about what I would like to keep first before I just go out and buy them

thanks

gouldianmax    399

It is not easy to sex dart frogs until they are adults...so if you only require males i feel you will struggle to find all male adults of different types unless you know any breeders who will have an excess amount of adult males to sell you. You would find it easier to find a group of all one type of dartfrog which can be kept together as a group such as leucs or tricolors. Dendrobates are better kept as sexed pairs or male heavy trio’s.unless you are experienced as the less dominant ones will die of stress. 

regards

Gordon

Boxofrogs    18

Hello all just thought I’d give you the benefit of my inexperience. I know the whole mix tank thing is a major issue but it seems again and again that when a mix tank is discussed it always starts with the worst possible combination of species either a bunch of tinctorius or sticking some imitators in the top of a viv with something bigger on the bottom. People also seem to keep  pumilio and auratus together as they share the same locality I’m sure this may work but I’m sure eagles and leaches life in the same localities. Personally I’ve got a single mixed viv as wanted to get back into hobby and had the bits to build a big setup it’s 1400 ish 700 or so high with a deeper ledge and some water and 600 front to back. Stocked with 6 vents(variabilis?) 5 standard leucs and 4 Santa Isabel. They seem largely oblivious to each other the vents breeding the Leucs bit reclusive but I’ve been told this is seasonal and they were in well before the Isabel which from what I gather you can’t go wrong with.i seem to remember something about dwarf cobalts being ok in groups. Tbh I do wonder if that space split into 3 would have been better used though. These are just my Ill educated opionins I’ve not put anything on the forum up till now to avoid the tyrade of abuse regarding pathogens etc. Anyway so far so good. 

Cheers

john 

Boxofrogs    18

On the plants I think you e got tohave a least one bromeliad in?? It’s like having a collection without a pair of  azureus.

Nick    447

I don't think mixing is a big issue if you know what your doing and there's enough space. It's something people new to the hobby are keen on and most experienced breeders go against that as some combination of frogs won't work out in the long term.

I would say that a major joy from the hobby is breeding and watching courting behavior from the frogs so you would miss out on that in a all male setup.

• Like 1

gouldianmax    399

I agree with Nick....also when most people talk of mixing frogs it is in a small to medium size viv....1400mm x 700mm x 600mm is quite a size and is a different matter! 

Also everyone learns by trial and error with plants and frogs and everyone has different tastes, requirements, and different depths of pockets...this can be an expensive hobby if you are constantly having to replace dead frogs and dead plants because they did not prosper in whatever set up you have...i 

wasted a lot of money when i first started many years ago so i know to my own cost.

regards

Gordon

• Like 1