Ironsides

Why are my Mystie tadpoles developing SLS?

Ironsides    32

I have successfully got my group of 4 Mysties (2 male and 2 female) to breed and the first tadpoles are just showing their front legs, unfortunately four of the first 5 have SLS! Its hearbreaking to see these otherwise healthy looking froglets/tadpoles with virtually useless front legs. One froglet is so far doing well and looks normal and healthy. I am new to the hobby and the Mysties are my first frogs to breed ( I also have Leucs and Golden Mantellas) so I have no other experience and would like the benefit of your help please. How can I eliminate SLS? What am I potentially doing wrong? Has anyone else had this problem?

I am meticulous with the dusting of fruit flies, I use Dendrocare and Repashy Calcium Plus. The temperature of my frog room drops to no lower than 69F and up to around 75F , all my adult frogs look healthy and the males call regularly. I love this hobby but I am so disappointed with my first breeding effort and hate to have to euthanize the tadpoles with SLS.

Mark97    83

I would add some vitamin A into your supplementation. It could just be young frogs though producing weak tads at first.

Dont be too down about it.

Hope things turn around.

Nick    447

Mysties are one of those frogs that do have a high SLS rate. I found keeping the water temperature stable helped resolve my SLS issues in the past. Marks comments above I would agree with too.

Mysties are one of the few common hobby spp that I have never kept, so probably not best placed to comment.  But, there are several things that 'they' say about this particular sp and SLS.  As above, temperature and temperature consistency may be important, as is nutrition (for all species).  The age of the adults at the point of breeding may be important - definitely more issues with frogs breeding in a hurry.  For mysties in particular, I know people have placed developing tads under UVB and this apparently helps.  I do wonder, however, (given the penetration depth of UVB in water) if this has more to do with temperature.

Nick

Mark97    83

I am not one to preach in the UV debate, but interesting you mention it Nick. Mysties are a frog that live with good exposure to uv, not sheltered under the canapy and in the leaf litter like most. They live at high elevations in the open, so maybe they dont compensate in other ways as well as other commonly kept species. This goes also also for the tads which would be in good sun in the brom axles of the cliff face..

Just thinking aloud....

Mark.

• Like 1

That's the theory and it's at least plausible. I have no opinion :D.

Best of luck with your breeding Ironsides. Mysties are nice little things.

Nick

Ironsides    32

Thankyou all for your input,  my last three froglets are all normal and doing well and I am much more encouraged.  I have now put my breeding group under a UV light and purchased Vit A plus. Good news my Leucs have also started spawning.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that the SLS was just from the first groups of eggs from a new breeding group. I now have tadpoles everywhere!

Thanks again.

Mark97    83

Glad your turning a corner. Carefull not to OD on the UV. Good luck with the leucs, keep us upto date.

Ironsides    32

I am feeding the tadpoles with Frog and Tadpole Bites dusted with Sera micron, with occasional Tetra Min Flake for variety. I now have nine froglets, no SLS since the first group that morphed.  I have done nothing different, I think it must be related to young frogs first spawning, I will keep you updated.