Andy65

Sirensis Highland Tadpole to Frog

Andy65    69
On 24/05/2017 at 14:36, Ben said:

Nice Viv!

Do you have the name for those black based Broms ?

Cheers,

Ben.

Thanks Ben,

Mark is right, Vriesea erythrodactylon. I got mine from Araflora.

• Like 1

Andy65    69

Thanks Nick,

Just lucky with this shot, I was taking a picture of the male.

He was about 3 inches away from the glass front, when the female decided jump out of the monkey pod and land right on him.

All my pictures have been taken with the Apple iPad Air.

stevef    38

Do you know where they 1st laid the eggs, some one told me that they only lay in the leaf litter on the floor

JohnB56    310
22 hours ago, stevef said:

Do you know where they 1st laid the eggs, some one told me that they only lay in the leaf litter on the floor

Well I can tell you that's not true. Ive kept a few groups over the years and don't think ive ever found eggs in the leaf litter. They always used to lay in film cansiters for me.

• Like 1

Andy65    69
On 04/07/2017 at 10:20, stevef said:

Hi Steve,

Like John said, film canisters and the odd time on brom leaves.

Milesw    191

have found eggs in leaf litter before, usually only happens when i put my vivs through a dry season they will lay in the leaf litter as it holds the humidity better.

have also had eggs laid in flim cans, on glass, on large philo leaves and bromeliads.

Andy65    69

Thanks for the input Miles,

How long do you have them on a dry season ?

To tell you the truth I've had my frogs for about 18 months now, and I've never given them a dry season.

Is it something I should think about doing, and what's the benefit of this.

Milesw    191

i usually dry them from oct/nov untill feb/march, drying them out usually stops breeding (not always, but will slow it down a lot) you dont want to overbreed your animals as it can shorten life span and possibly effect the quality of frogs that are being produced. also i dont over feed my frogs, i dont like obese frogs mine stay nice and lean, so a dry spell gives them a chance to put on a little bit more weight than usual before i soak them and breeding starts again.

im sure there are many other benefits to seasons etc but those are my main reasons for doing it.

p.s. drying them out for me is one 10 second burst on misting system a day, and when i want them to get back into breeding i will do two 1.30 bursts a day (sometimes throw a 3rd in if a storm is brewing outside, the pressure change in the air along with the misting tends to put everything into breeding frenzy)

• Like 2

Andy65    69

Thank you for the information Miles, I will give it a go.

just spotted these eggs this morning laid on the outside of the film canister.

IMG_1746.JPG

• Like 2