Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Costa Rica & Bocas Del Toro Trip

Nick    447

Thought I would share some frog related pics of my recent holiday since I still don't have any frogs :(

Blue Jeans & Habitat Pics

When we fist arrived we did a 2 day white water rafting trip with over night stay in a lodge. The whitewater rafting was amazing it's the same location where they filmed part of Jurassic park all primary rainforest you could hear the frogs from the raft going down the river.

Where we were staying you could hear all the frogs calling finding them was a lot harder than I though it would be. Males seemed to have a territory about a meter from one another which was bit surprising how close the would call from there perch.

IMG_6674_zpsziyrhmsz.jpg

IMG_6642_zpswcl9kq02.jpg

IMG_6635_zpsd6cnhvpf.jpg

IMG_6673_zpsfqsanbbq.jpg

IMG_6582_zpsta1bdwm4.jpg

IMG_6583_zps82xh3osf.jpg

• Like 5

Nick    447

Red Frog Beach & Habitat

As your aware there has been a impact of RFB near the beach due to development I was only able to find a pair near the beach. I later ventured further down the beach off the beaten path into dense jungle and ended up find loads of them including eggs.

On a side note the beach was stunning and really quiet.

IMG_6824_zpskxnzjhc2.jpg

IMG_6825_zpsej7qd6gb.jpg

IMG_6830_zpso0hjloql.jpg

IMG_6834_zps9na7fknu.jpg

IMG_6835_zpsf2sqlcew.jpg

• Like 3

Nick    447

We stayed on Bastimentos for 3 nights the island was beautiful loads of broms and jungle. It's still not over developed and people herr are relative poor so there's is risk of being mugged, but they have the best frogs :)

We stayed in a "hotel" which the wife was less than impressed but they had a court yard garden full of basti's. I counted 14 males while a was there. I couldn't work out why they choose to stay there as there was no borms and little leaf litter. I presumed they left the courtyard to go back into the jungle to drop tads off but i was wrong.

I later worked out they where using the alocasia each plants can hold a lot of water in base of there stems. Pics below are all from the courtyard garden.

20170131_153930_zpsxo3zfigu.jpg

20170131_153946_zps1ygza73o.jpg

20170131_153950_zpsx77kppiu.jpg

20170131_154001_zpsghfyzqks.jpg

20170131_154642_zpsx5ixyimm.jpg

• Like 2

Ben    19

Wow,

Looks amazing I would like to do this in the near future, rather jealous !

Ben.

Alex    74

Fantasic. Really surprised at how fat the frogs look....in the documentaries I have always seen much slimmer frogs...thank you for sharing

Ale

kroot    256

Amazing photos and stunning frogs and foliage. Like the others I'm jealous. I agree with Alex, they seem very well fed!

Mark    19

Definitely an amazing place if you can get over there. Surprised me when I saw the types of areas the frogs were in compared to how we keep them

• Like 1

Richie    214

Nice Nick think i might have to visit there soon.

Good to see some real bluejeans not like the ones coming in now

ChrisM    44

Great pics and write up Nick..

Out of interest for you (and others that have been)- can you visit CRARC while out there?

Nick    447
9 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Great pics and write up Nick..

Out of interest for you (and others that have been)- can you visit CRARC while out there?

No I didnt I wanted too but it was a bit out of the way from everywhere else we wanted to visit.

Andy65    69

I bet it was amazing to see them close up in the wild like that, Great pictures Nick.

Thanks for sharing.