Sign in to follow this  
gex23

Ghost Town

gex23    26

I was recommended this forum not long ago, but it seems hardly anyone posts nowadays compared to say 2013 / 2014. Is this indicative of the PDF hobby as a whole in this country?

Suppliers wise, I only know of dartfrog.co.uk in this country as for some reason Rainforest Vivs has disappeared (same with dendroworks a few years ago).

Also what ever happened to dendroworld.co.uk?

• Like 1

JohnB56    319

I hadn't noticed the Rainforest vivs link was no longer working :(

It does look like Dendroworld.co.uk is no more which is a great shame as there was a wealth of information on there spanning a couple of decades. . Sadly the owner who originally set up the site lost interest in Dart frogs and it just went downhill from there.

I have been keeping Dart frogs for over 10 years now, and it just seems to be very much a revolving door of a hobby. I could probably count on my one hand the people who are still around today when I first started. I'm sure there are many different reasons why people stop keeping. It can be quite high maintenance at times, depending on how much you keep, not to mention the cost, sometimes life just gets in the way and you have to prioritise whatever you think is the most important.

Nick    447

Hi Gex,

I would agree with John's comments, another factor is Facebook as people seem to prefer posting on there a lot more now days which as a result makes forums less active. The site will be going through a major upgrade over the next few months which should make sharing content easier. What I would say nearly all post on here are responded by other members. It would be good to see more build threads but i think the reason for this people still find it tricky to share pictures easily like they can on FB, this something i will try to address.

kroot    256

As a FB hater I only use this forum. It is a lot quieter now than it was. Also a lot of lurkers who don't post. As for pictures, I can only thank those that do, me and cameras don't mix well. Actually me and comps don't either.

Mark    19

It's such a shame about forums not really getting the traffic they used to. I got my first frogs off John years ago . It seems people just want frogs to breed instantly and if they don't bring in money they leave the hobby, I think that's pretty standard in the reptile hobby but frogs was always a little different. You had the main stays and a few people who got frog Burn out. I really miss the old house meets we had, nice little community, my house is to small and I would always worry about the numbers you 'may' attract nowadays. As for rainforest vivs Richie is attempting to move abroad possibly but if he doesn't succeed he's told me he will be back with a vengeance.

Mark    19

On another note. The more questions people put on here hopefully the more will answer which in turn will bring people back in to check on things

Alex    74

I guess it also goes down to the fact that once frogs are settled, there are very long uneventful periods, with nothing worth reporting about. I spend hours in the shed on a weekly basis, simply enjoying the frogs, looking for eggs, tending the vivs etc, but nothing worth reporting. I guess is the same for most people?

Mark97    83

I think the response here says it all. Facebook seems the preferred method nowadays. Shame.

But the forums still get the traffic. People come on and check for new posts but dont post.

Mark.

tuckerboy    5

I hadn't noticed the Rainforest vivs link was no longer working :(

It does look like Dendroworld.co.uk is no more which is a great shame as there was a wealth of information on there spanning a couple of decades. . Sadly the owner who originally set up the site lost interest in Dart frogs and it just went downhill from there.

I have been keeping Dart frogs for over 10 years now, and it just seems to be very much a revolving door of a hobby. I could probably count on my one hand the people who are still around today when I first started. I'm sure there are many different reasons why people stop keeping. It can be quite high maintenance at times, depending on how much you keep, not to mention the cost, sometimes life just gets in the way and you have to prioritise whatever you think is the most important.

I'm still here John :)

tuckerboy    5

Best thread I've ever seen and read.

stu's frog room build

Shame that dendroworld has now gone for good although I think he posted the same progress somewhere on here