Sign in to follow this  
PeteC86

New To The Hobby And New Vivarium Build

PeteC86    4

Hi all,

I'm totally new to the hobby, just got my first frogs on Thursday, a couple of Dendrobates Tinctorius "Brazil" from Marc at Dart Frog.

Vivarium: https://goo.gl/photos/LhNYwJ8DyJsDfFHQ7

Frogs going in: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ26d9xD6nR/

First feed: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ3RgYkDjO2/

This is my first vivarium build; I used foam, elastopur and peat moss to create the background as well as 3 pieces of mangrove root. The frogs love to hang out and sleep in the cave area underneath and behind the wood on the far right!

A few questions:

Are there many people around the West Midlands area? And are there any shows or anything much in this country?

Also I'm starting to plan my next build to start later this year once I have some more experience with frogs. I'm planning on doing a large, tall, bromeliad heavy build and would love some frogs that will live and breed in the bromeliads. I'd prefer for them not to be too shy, thinking of one of these species as possibles:

Epipedobates Anthonyi

Ranitomeya Imitator

Oophaga Pumilio

Any suggestions or recommendations. I'm aware the latter two are pricey and harder to obtain.

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 1

Mark97    83

Welcome in Pete.

Great start there. There are quite a few froggers in the west midlands (i aint one). Im sure some will post up soon.

Personally i stay clear of E.anthonyi. often been tempted but they are like rabbits once they start breeding. Sounds a good problem to have but many keepers of these cannot give there young away they produce that many.

Between R.imitator and O.pumilio. imi's are bolder and breed easy enough.

Pum's are no harder to keep, cost abit more. Can be shy. But in the right viv will be seen. Breeding is a little trickier and they need to be left to raise there own froglets.

Hope that helps.

Are you dusting your flies? They dont look it in the vid is all.

Post up with any help or queries!

Mark.

Mark97    83

Oh regarding shows/meets, MAD is up north on easter sunday.

Thats about the only one a year. Doncaster racecourse holds a reptile one 3 times a year. There is normally a handfull of frogs on tables. Good for viv supplies.

Mark.

kroot    243

Welcome.

I keep antonyi and can say they aren't bothered with broms' and as said can go 'breed crazy' at times. Of your choices I think Imis are the best option I think.

PeteC86    4

Thanks Mark and Kroot, I was sort of leaning towards Imitators, so cheers for the info.

I am dusting with Repashy Calcium Plus; that video was just after I put the frogs in, and I was so excited that I forgot to dust them.

Would love to go to MAD but it's a 4.5 hour drive according to Google maps :(