YNWA

Racking/shelving

kroot    249

There are a few good racking systems out there. I went for BigDug stuff as I was also using it for the attic. Depends where you put your frog room as to what's needed I suppose.

Ironsides    32

I bought mine from Kas shopfitting, great service, great quality and cheaper than Big Dug!

Cant fault them they really are good quality, highly recommended.

YNWA    6

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Kroot, are the heights of the shelves flexible or fixed based on the positioning of the fittings required to join the uprights? I bought something similar previously and it wasn't very suitable as the position of the middle shelf was not flexible due to the shelf (fittings) being required to join the two uprights together, this in turn left very little flexibility for the shelves either side, leaving it's usage very restricted.

Ironsides, I watched the video on the website showing how to put them together and they look incredibly easy and certainly give the flexibility of the shelf positioning that I need, however my only concern is whether or not the black plastic (I think?!?!) fixings are genuinely strong enough to hold 2 vivs per shelf?

Thanks again guys, sorry about the further questions.

Tony

Ironsides    32

Tony, In my opinion they are strong enough, I have 2 vivs on 120cm wide shelves, they are very strong. I had to adjust the shelves a few times before I got them exactly right for me, the plastic sleeves were moved with no problems.  Just spend time getting the spacing exactly right before you load them up fully, its easier. They are very good quality.

Ian

YNWA    6

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your further input and advice regarding the spacing.

I'm sure I'm worrying far too much as they wouldn't sell them with a 300kg per shelf limit if they weren't capable of holding that weight, just that black plastic didn't fill me with confidence when I watched the video.

I was thinking of getting the 150cm wide rack to house 3 Exo Terra's per shelf, 60cm in the middle with a 45cm either side. Other than the initial weight concern, my other query is weather any part of the frame would stop the 3 vivs fitting as they equate to 150cm, it's rather difficult to plan without seeing them. The downside of buying from the internet I guess.

Tony

Ironsides    32

Hi Tony,

The width measurement is to the outside of the posts, I don't think you would get them all on one shelf its too tight to gamble. I would not worry about the weight. I actually went to their premises and checked them out,  they are extremely helpful and I believe trustworthy. I hate buying sight unseen from the internet! I cant get two 45x45,s on my 90cm shelf, the inside measurement is 85cms.

Hope this helps

Ian

kroot    249

YNWA Big Dug stuff does have some restrictions. Rather than explaining on the interwebby thing it may be easier to take a look some time. Hope to arrange a frog pub meet and maybe a house meet. Then you can prod one in real life.

kevindurose    111

If anyone's after shelving for a frog house. There's a bloke got 200 of these for sale. I've bought 5 they are heavy duty 3mm steel.

3ft wide in 3 different depths. PM me if interested and I'll provide his contact details

Kev

1F82135B-9C93-4741-AC92-2A4076FD3132_zps

YNWA    6

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Ian, the additional info regarding the inside measurement of the post was particularly helpful, thank you.

Kroot, thanks for confirming, I fear the restrictions that you referred to of the big dug racking will mean it will pretty much be a straight replacement for the impulse purchased racks I bought off the internet which present me with the lack of flexibility with the shelf heights. A frog pub meet sounds awesome, keep me posted and I'll be there for sure.

Kev, the middle shelf shown in the picture, does this need to be positioned here to join the uprights? This is the problem I'm trying to get away from with my existing rack.

Cheers,

Tony

kevindurose    111

Each comes with 5 shelves but obviously for vivs only three would be needed. Shelves can be placed anywhere although it makes since to have one at the top and another close to the bottom. I bought 18" wide but there's 2ft wed too. The bloke lives in Boston. This is very strong stuff uprights are 3mm by dug is less than 1mm. The uprights are all one piece.

Technically you could buy 2 racks and use the spare shelves to create an extra rack bolted on between the other two shelves. At 3mm thick the uprights are man enough to support extra shelves. You'll need a 9ft of space though. Thinking about it you could support two racks with only 6 uprights if you wanted.

Kev