Sign in to follow this  
Jilazee

New Member - New Viv

Jilazee    4

Afternoon all,

I've spent the past few months trawling the net on various US dart frog forums looking for advice and information and just as I finish building and start planting I discover this little local gem! Which is awesome to find a UK community. So I thought I'd introduce myself.

I decided to put together a vivarium to put on display in our house when we move back in after renovations in March/April. I don't doubt I'll be picking some brains for suppliers or advice on plants as it seems my initial selection for viv plants have been poor. I hope in April once the Viv has grown in and it is in its final resting place to populate it with a few amphibians.

This is the viv I've put together;

False bottom with clay balls
Ventilation system installed in the back for in Viv air circulation.
I removed the SS mesh from the Lid and have replaced with glass to keep the humidity up.

It's a work in progress with regards to planting. But I wanted to give the moss and a few Broms a chance to root and grow in before I move it in April.

20170106 011926

20170106 012001

20170101 021832

20161231 154612

20161219 183757

Does anyone have any decent links for vivarium plants? So far I've only found dartfrog.co.uk

Regards

Paul

tuckerboy    5

Hi there and welcome.

Viv is looking really good so far.

For plants I try to buy from the continent. They are a lot cheaper and you always seem to get more for your money as well as a lot more variety.

Terra-jungle.de is a good place to start

Or you have bens jungle, Dutch rana and ENT

Jilazee    4

I did wonder at that since the layout and all images were the same.

Do many use dartfrog.co.uk? - So far it's about the only UK site that I've seen.

John    1

Dartfrog.co.uk have a great range of plants but cost a little more, you could try Rainforestvivs.co.uk they are slightly cheaper but they have reduced there range over the last year which is a shame.

John 

SLEEPiNGGiRL    94

Wow! What a great start! You may find you need to add a vent to that lid though, as the front exo vents aren't the greatest, a top vent will help pull air through. What I do is get glass cut for entire top, minus 7-10cm for some ss mesh or custom vent. It may be ok though, depends on the plants/misting.

As recommended above, plus Araflora are pretty good too and often have a lot of choice!

Jilazee    4

Thanks for the info and extra plant sources.

I may well add a few vents to the top of the vivarium. At the moment I just have the fans running to keep the air moving within the vivarium for 5-6 hours a day. This seems to dry most of the leaves and foliage off for a period before misting.

Thanks again for the plants. All seems to be settling in with new offshoots forming and new growth appearing.

• Like 1