Sign in to follow this  
joelugs

Varibilis Southern Calling???

joelugs    61

This morning while having a brew pondering what to do today. I heard squeak then afew seconds later another squeak . I thought nothing of it them it happened again. so I looked on Utube  on varibilis calling. very similer but my frogs call was deeper . weather that was because its live and not a recording.

This happened just after I misted the viv and before the light came on. dose this mean I have a pair? or do they call anyway?

• Like 1

joelugs    61

ive only got two as the smaller of the 3 died a month or 2 ago :(   .    if both of them are male would they still call? fingeres crossed ive got a pair. ive not managed to put any film canisters or a petri dish in yet . but one of them is quite often in one of two broms. so is it worth putting a few canisters and petri dish in as well or should I just let them get on wIth it? â€‹

CkjjrSempai    10

it wouldnt hurt to put some canisters in and just leave them to it im sure they will do something eventually if you have a pair.  my group are only about 7 months old but the male calls all the time and he is forever going in and out of the film cannisters.

• Like 1

SLEEPiNGGiRL    94

you had any eggs from yours yet sleepinggirl??? 

No, they're only 7 months old. I'm hoping they hold off awhile yet! I've just had to let my Jeberos go at the moment and I have 7 tads and another 4 eggs to raise from them, which is kind of all I have time for right now. So with them breeding so much and with me making the decision to work towards only keeping UE frogs, it seemed the best thing to do. Obviously the southerns are UE, but I just want them to hold off! :)

SLEEPiNGGiRL    94

ive only got two as the smaller of the 3 died a month or 2 ago :(   .    if both of them are male would they still call? fingeres crossed ive got a pair. ive not managed to put any film canisters or a petri dish in yet . but one of them is quite often in one of two broms. so is it worth putting a few canisters and petri dish in as well or should I just let them get on wIth it? â€‹

Awww... I'm sorry. :( I have a little fella too, I suspect that one is possibly a male. The other two are notably bigger, but who knows, they may all end up the same size at maturity. Yes, if both were male you could get just the one (dominant) calling or you may have both. All 3 of mine sit in the canisters and broms, it's just a dart thing. :) I just let them get on with it and enjoy watching their behaviour and trying to guess, as long as everyone is getting along, I guess they'll just get down to it on their terms. Maybe the girls are just virtous. Haha :)

• Like 1

joelugs    61

it wouldnt hurt to put some canisters in and just leave them to it im sure they will do something eventually if you have a pair.  my group are only about 7 months old but the male calls all the time and he is forever going in and out of the film cannisters.

id say mine are about  7_9 month old . I'm about to order some cannisters . alse I'm thinking if getting some dwarf tropical woodlice . would they be ok to add for extra food source or clean up crew.

SLEEPiNGGiRL    94

A little older than mine then. I haven't heard calling for awhile, but having said that, my varadero male rarely shuts up and would easily drown out the southerns. I actually caught one of my benedicta trio in the act, they're also very quiet and I had my face within 12" of him, until he spotted me, so I know which one is male already (at least one anyhow). LOL

Canisters are good. I prefer the white ones for tadpole deposition, so you can see in them easier, the black ones I tend to use at horizontal angles with half of a white one cut and slid into them, for them to sit in or lay eggs in if they prefer. Tropical white woodlice are great for both. The greys tend to be bigger and more active above ground and they're too big to eat, but the babies are perfect sized. I do prefer my whites though.

• Like 1