Sign in to follow this  
SLEEPiNGGiRL

R. Summersi Or Banded Imi's?

SLEEPiNGGiRL    94

I really like both, but I read the summersi prefer it drier? Anyone keeping summersi want to share how you keep them?

I think I'm about frogged out... haha I now have my trio's of varadero/jeberos, benedicta, southerns and due to collect a trio of Vanzos, so I've pretty much fulfilled the wanted list bar the banded imi's or possible summersi.

• Like 2

Ben    19

Hi,

I keep the Banded Imitator Sauce (1.2) they are stunning frogs and a perfect mimic, Little bigger than my other imitators and have a slightly deeper call.

They are quite bold once settled and mine have started to lay some quite big clutches of five too seven white eggs, Tadpoles seem a little more sensitive to raise than others but I have a dozen or so growing on well.

I think the Summersi like it a bit drier and take a lot longer to reach maturity and are more of a challenge to breed/raise.

Either way they are both stunning and you should have some!

:)

Ben.

• Like 2

Alex    74

Hi Ben

I am after a few Banded Sauce too. I have two grown males, calling at each other in a 100cm tall viv, stunning, but in desperate need of a female......:-)

Ale

Stu    426

Summersi and banded imis are sympatric, live in the same place...don't they? The one imitates the other so i'd guess they would both like similar conditions.  Stacey (it is sTacey isn't it I keep summs but not the imis,yeah sure I keep them on the dry side,but I can't give you a definite as to whether that should be drier than the corresponding mimic(imi). what I can tell you is kept like this they really seem to react to a low hitting more than any other frog we have kept,one can almost switch on the desire to lay by hitting a low with a corresponding raise in humidity in viv,ie drown 'em :rolleyes: . Seiously I spray very very heavy when a low hits to mimic that in viv and it really seems that eggs will follow. But that must take into account the dry that I normally keep them under.

I am unsure if summs are harder to breed than imis,having not kept many rani  it is a very tough call to make for me. I know very very few have got them going here and over the five years or so we have kept frogs quite a few have got here,but hardly anyone has had much luck in actually breeding them. I'm not really sure why,sure we struggled I still have my little old male from our first pair,sadly I lost the lass,but she never seemed to lay eggs with embryos in. which is fundamentally weird as the embryo passing through the frog is the trigger for the jelly to be laid around the embryos,i am informed.

I guess they need to be reared right as a first up(big deal !!!),then really, I believe now that letting them get old enough to be really mature is very important,before the breeding starts. Stacey we had 40 tads from our young group when they first started laying. I was actually trying my best to keep as a group and not let them breed ,but failed. From those 40 I morphed two kids,it was very difficult. We seem to have always been really lucky with tads hardly loosing any across the frogs we have kept and then bamm all but complete failure. Obviously as this was going on our young group were getting older . I can't remember what kind of break they had after that 40 ,but when we set the next 40 we simply could barely put a foot wrong,if we lost two i'd be surprised. Nothing had changed much no differing husbandary so the only thing that really could be a factor is age of parents.

Summs are not bold in your face frogs they are on the shy side,that said my little old man,bless him comes to see me and if i'm gentle enough will stay out and be fed with the door open. So as is oft the case time and spending time with them is worth it as the shy side can be broken with time and lots a patience. They seem good as a group although spats occur with both sexes,ha ha I'm always grafting so don't see so  much now,but Shaz does !!  My little old man has two lovely young ladies now,every now and then they have a right scrap over him,then all seems to go back to normal,i've seen the boys in the group of 4 two pair do exactly the same over a lass about to lay.

Hope this helps a bit i've written tonnes about them if you are serious about summs have a dig,I have so little time now I rarely post ,but they are all still here and we still have a few kids about . I simply don't know of anyone else here whom has bred summersi,i'd love to hear if anyone has had any joy

Good luck

Stu

• Like 2