Sign in to follow this  
jack269

Escudo Baby's

jack269    31

T5769BAC3-D6E5-4074-8803-A307BEEB34D1_zps

First clutch of eggs from my escudos today. I no you just leave them to it but is there anything I can do eg must more or less feed etc

• Like 1

auratusross    126

Congratulations on them! There wont be any need to change anything husbandry wise such as feeding more or misting more as your current routine is obviously doing the trick. Neither would hurt though. 

I would advise to stock up on springtails, as the juveniles will certainly be needing a steady supply once metamorphosed. You may also want to add a couple of extra tadpole deposition sites such as bromeliads or film canisters attached to the sides of the vivarium at an angle that will hold water should you wish/need to give them more options. Although i would lean more towards the film cannisters for now as they will create less disturbance in the vivarium and wont need time to establish and run the risk of dying whilst holding the tadpoles.

Good luck with them!

Regards, Ross

jack269    31

Thankyou for your replies. Very pleased! I do have bromeliads and canisters just need to make sure there always topped up!.. I'm currently trying the springtail on charcoal breeding. Any ideas on the best way to transfer these to the viv from there tub? Eg piece of bark etc. Many thanks jack

Mark97    83

If you're springtails are on charcoal to transfer them over just flood the culture and the springtails float atop the water. Then pour or spoon them in.

Mark.

jack269    31

I'm going to try this when I'm home... I used to keep springtail on compost but kepted having to tip the springs and compost in the viv only so much compost I can tip in! Thanks again jack

Mark97    83

Yeah. I used to keep springs on charcoal, but have better results on compost. But hate messing the viv up to transfer them.

kevindurose    111

I use a bit of wellingtonia bark or tree fern on top of the substrate as a transfer media. If you put the springtails food on the bark or fern root, give it spray to get it to stick and then put it upside down on the substrate. Next day you'll have springtails warming all over the underside. Tap it into a container and feed to frogs

kroot    253

Good news on the tads.

I tend to keep a small lump of charcoal in all the spring tubs so I can tap this into the viv.

• Like 1

SLEEPiNGGiRL    94

I'm trying the charcoal method, but had great results using magnolia leaves with spring food on top, next day so many had congregated that it was as simple as a quick grab of the leaf into a bare pot and transfer. Repeat with fresh leaves. Good luck with your babies. :)

jack269    31

I think it's just a matter of trying different methods till one suits u best.... Tadpoles were moved to bromeliad axials yesterday.

Ralph    25

I think it's just a matter of trying different methods till one suits u best.... Tadpoles were moved to bromeliad axials yesterday.

It's true, everyone has their preferred method. For both my peat-based and charcoal-based springtail cultures I put some cut up sections of dampened corrugated cardboard on the top. The springs seem to love going in the corrugated "tunnels" and I figured there's more surface area. I just pick the cardboard up and give it a few flicks to drop the springs into the viv.

Congrats on the eggs/tads!

Mark97    83

Nice.

How's tad progress going?

My tads keep dying, very prolific. Finding tads everywhere but dont survive.

Im going to try rainwater for misting, see if that improves things. Or it may just be she's not feeding them..

Mark

jack269    31

To be honest I haven't got a clue.. I see one the first day they moved them.. But since then I've seen nothing but then I've not really looked hard, don't want to disturb them.i wonder why that is they hatch ok? Do they all seem to die at the same time or different stages of development?

Mark97    83

Only seen one that has notably grown, all others die from the off.

Never seen a feeder egg in with any of them either.

Mark97    83

Dunno..

Eggs arnt in the water so not sure.

Maybe she just needs more time to get the hang of feeding them.