Sign in to follow this  
RudeDogg1

Newbie Setup Questions

RudeDogg1    16

Hi guys,

Ive been tinking about doing a dart frog set up for quite a while and have a few questions I was oping you knowlagable lot might be able to answer. I was thinking of using a proper under substrate heating cable i have up in my loft with a habistat pulse stat. Or would I be better off using day and night pulse stat? Was also thinking of using some kind of led lighting for better energy consumption ect. Now Ive been eyeing up the glass vivs with false bottoms. How do they actually work ive not found a side view of one?. They always look like you cant go very deep with the substrate like it would fall out when you open the doors.

Any advice would be gladly recieved

Rudi

Cornish-J    31

Most dart keepers will try their best NOT to heat the viv but to ensure the room is of an adequate temperature (20ish degrees). If you put a heating cable or heat mat then it will dry the viv out very quickly and therefore the humidity will reduce which is exactly what you dont want!

False bottom vivs have a sloped floor so yea you're right, you cant really use too much substrate as it will just fall into the front gulley. I just use a thin layer of soil and then just throw in a lot of leaf litter, twigs etc. No need for huge amounts of soil unless you plan to plant stuff at ground level...

LED - yes, Arcadia Jungle Dawn.

RudeDogg1    16

Unheated would be even better my only concern would be the fact my landlady has control of when and how long the heating comes on. Do people use any kind of back up incase the heat goes to low. I always thought you had to have a lil bit of heat to keep the humidity up.

What's the front ledge in that viv for? Do you still use a drainage layer in that kinda viv? That is the site I've been eyeing then up on ha

kevindurose    111

An oil filled radiator in the room is a good heat source. I wouldn't worry too much about humidity if you've live plants and spraying /misting regularly cuttings aren't wilting misses are growing all is good. I'be not sprayed misted one on my vivs for two weeks and the buggers are still laying.

Some folks leave front gully of viv empty some fill with substrate such as expanded clay balls. I do both. The clay balls or even filter foam can keep your frogs away from mucky water.