Sign in to follow this  
joelugs

Terra Fans

joelugs    61

has anyone used or using the terra fan ? i think my tank need a couple of fans as acouple of my plants are not doing so well. ive no frogs yet as i want it to ne running with no problems before i introduce them.

how do they work as they are temp controlled. ?

would you have them on a timer or just keep them on?

what size is the fan?

what temp do they start working it?or do they work when turned on then just go faster as the viv heats up.

JohnB56    317

How long has your viv been set up? its perfectly normal for your plants to take a dive when theyve first been planted. It can take them some time to adjust to their new conditions.

joelugs    61

i John. its been up running for a week , two plants have toteley  died . and ive noticed a tiny bit of mould on the soil and some brown spots on the leaves on another plant.

ill tell you what ive done so far .ive made a form background then silicone and some soil onto the silicone.then left for 2 weeks. taped a small heat pad on the under side at one side . converted my lid with a 8cm mesh strip along the front of it.

silicone a row of stone [ witch I cleaned and boiled to kill any nastys off them] to make a small pool with stones just above the water serface .

then 2"of clay balls then substrate devider and then some soil with springtails and woodlice in it from dartfrog. 20mm of water in the bottom witch I don't think I should of done and may be the problem .

planted up, leaf litter in  and light is set for 10 hrs . temp is 17-20 . No frogs until its bang on and stable.

hope this solves my plant dieing problem . and what I can call slight slale air .  do you think fans will help?

joe

JohnB56    317

If your viv is properly ventilated then i see no reason for adding fans. Ive never had to use them in all the years ive been keeping.

Like i said before, plants can take some time to adjust. I have had plenty of plants (especially ferns) appear to have died off and then suddenly start throwing out new shoots.

Im wondering if your substrate is too wet? What is your soil mix composed of?

• Like 1

jaize    176

I bought some terra fans about three weeks ago and I think the quality is pretty poor. After only about a week the feed fan is making a noise. In my opinion not worth the cash. If you need fans get good quality PC ones but as John says you probably won't need them if you have just planted frog compatable stuff. I use mine on orchids that need the air movement.

SLEEPiNGGiRL    94

This sounds like what happened in my first build, where I also used clay balls. I think the water level was too high and wicking up into the substrate, as I had a pond feature (and disastrous waterfall), all the lower plants started to die off, showing brown spots/leaves within a day or two of planting. I opted to rebuild and went the false bottom egg crate route 2nd time around and used this again for my new build. Seems that the air flow between water and substrate works great! Plants are doing really well now.

• Like 1

joelugs    61

This sounds like what happened in my first build, where I also used clay balls. I think the water level was too high and wicking up into the substrate, as I had a pond feature (and disastrous waterfall), all the lower plants started to die off, showing brown spots/leaves within a day or two of planting. I opted to rebuild and went the false bottom egg crate route 2nd time around and used this again for my new build. Seems that the air flow between water and substrate works great! Plants are doing really well now.

yes I thought about using eggcrate on my main project. ive since added a computer fan that comes on 15min 4 times aday. sofar the rest of the plants haven't suffered . so fingers crossed