Sign in to follow this  
Aberreef

Reusing Vivs

Aberreef    217

I've been having a spectacularly bad time over the past six months (work sucks!!!) which has led to me losing some frogs, particularly two pairs of Tincs that I think we're infected with nematodes since they lost condition very rapidly. I wormed them with panacur dusted flies but they never recovered :( ate plenty but they were too far gone already.

Things are still bad at work but at least my head is in a better place atm. Thankfully none of my pums were affected and they are going from strength to strength. Now I'm looking to get some new frogs but not sure what to do with the vivs first!

Does anyone know how long nematodes can stay in an empty viv? Would I be better to totally gut the viv and replace everything and is there a safe way to sterilise them? Ideally I'd prefer to buy new vivs but can't afford this atm :(

Huw

Stu    426

Richie your a great guy to have in our hobby nice bro!!!!!!!!!

Huw sorry about the hard times mate,  if it helps my work sucks too and is battering me side ways thanks god there is a Shaz here she's moving mountains at the mo. with the frogs

Anways bro I'd always er on the side of caution and strip down and clean. I guess either F10,which I haven't yet used or good old bleach will be effective to get rid of any nasties. With Richie's usual kindness above you don't have to rush to get the old vivs into action so I'd strip 'em, now and clean and bleach and then leave a while standing.  You seem sure on the id of what happened and i'm sorry for your loss buddy. So you might have a vet on tap that could advise a specific form of sterilization to clobber those nematodes frankly if you have I'd choose his wisdom over what I can offer and I'd love to know what exactly is suggested if that is an option.

Mate take it as read I'm a cautious sod,stripping down a nice viv is horrible and many don't bother here new frogs just get plonked in a used viv,but I really think it's worthwhile especially in this case where you had problems.

Head up Huw life can be a ********* biatch,don't I know it,but  you'll win mate.  

take care buddy

Stu

• Like 1

kroot    253

Huw. I've been in the same boat. I found that F10 seemed to do the job for me. Inside and out. I wiped down the doors and tackrails and spayed the inside including plants for a week. It did the trick. Frogs are thriving now.

Head up and battle on. The end is in sight.

All the best. You can PM me if you want a longer more boring run down :)

Cheers.

Adrian.

Aberreef    217

Thanks guys, I'll look into the F10.

Richie, you're a gent, I'd forgotten all about that lol! I quite fancy changing the vivs to all arboreal and sticking with pums and maybe Ranitomeya. Will have to think hard about this though, cash isn't good atm especially with me spending so much on my new chocolate venture ;)

Thank you Stu, I'm kind of getting bored of constantly being kicked in the dang lies by life lol. Seems every time things start looking up something happens that's even more stressful than before! There really can't be much else left to go wrong apart from the completely unthinkable! Wish I had a good vet to use but those I know of are only really good for cats and dogs, my 'diagnosis' was more an educated guess really :(

On the plus side this has given me room to shuffle some frogs around and make changes to the vivs, I'm sure I can fit more in somehow too lol

Richie    214

Thanks Stu but its only what i owe him after he helped me out when i had the shop.

No worries Huw let me know what you decide, and dont eat all those chocolates until ive sampled a few :P

Richie

Aberreef    217

Haha you're going to have to be quick lol :D

Fingers crossed I'll be able to make the chocolate making a permanent thing, get away from all the nonsense that's still going on. Working with the public sucks :(

• Like 2

Stu    426

I LIKE CHOCOLATES

WOT

Just trying to work out if I can move faster than Richie,probably a lost cause.   BUGGER  

goodonya Huw hate loosing anything,but  yup turn it into a plus buddy, ha, a kicking or two here,it helps being insane bro

I reckon Richie will have nailed a cider by now,where were those choccies mate?

belucky mate

Stu

• Like 2