Sign in to follow this  
jaize

Extra Heat?

jaize    176

The bigger viv in my living room is struggling to keep the temperature up and I am concerned about the imminent cold snap. What is a good product to buy to retrofit to the viv without taking it apart that can help please?

jaize    176

It is at night I am worried about them. And yes I could heat the whole room but I am looking to heat just their viv.

Stu    426

Jaize as a temporary fix could you put something around the viv last thing at night to insulate and keep the inherent heat in,he said posting late on a sunday afternoon when ya can't get anything.blankets....or maybe better a thermal blanket like they use for survival,just brainstorming mate. I'd wonder about a small aquarium heater sat in a jar of water or even better in a pond area in viv,I can't see your viv to know if this is feasable and my web is hopeless so i'm struggling to post even this. Undersoil heat cable might be another option like they use for plants?  Mate I've always heated the room so no experience here to draw on but somit to muse huh,

hope all goes well mate

Stu

Alex    74

Hi Jaize

I had fairly good results with moon light lamps like the exoterra pt2120. They have a high infrared emission, which produces a fair amount of heat, but not too much to dry up the viv.

HTH

Ale

thirlwind    0

If you have the ENT/ DMS type viv , you could tuck a heat cable into the opening below the front mesh. I use the Zoo med cables on the 3 vivs I have and find this works well as a back up during the night when the lights are off.

jaize    176

Excellent suggestions all. Down to 21 overnight on Sat. which was -5 outside. Daytime is ok as the heating is on but I am worried if we have a prolonged cold snap. Looks like I need to get a new quilt amongst other stuff! thanks all.

• Like 1

gouldianmax    401

Hi Jaize

If your viv is going down to a minimum of 21 degrees c overnight that is fine. I have been in frogrooms during the day that have been colder than that. Seriously if that is the lowest temps you have nothing to worry about...but a quilt or blanket wrapped around the viv each night may be a bit more peace of mind. My frogroom can go from 30 degrees c in summer down to around 20 degrees c in winter without any problems.

regards

Gordon

jaize    176

I was quite worried as the Leucs seem to hide a lot more than before to the point I hardly see them. When I do they look fine and are clearly eating ,just moving more slowly than previously.

Funny enough the mantellas haven't batted an eyelid at the cooler temperatures!