Davenjai

Lighting A Large Viv

Davenjai    119

Hi guys,ive been looking for info on which lighting to choose for a viv build I will be doing soon.The viv will be 122cm long by 66cm deep by 100cm tall. I cant make my mind up between three or four 22w jungle dawn LEDs or a 4xT5 HO unit. I will be planting heavy and colourful Bromeliads will be a big part of it for me so I want something that will really make them show their full potential.

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers

Dave

gouldianmax    401

100cm is a tall viv. If you want the broms to colour up and flower you will probablies need some of the powerful fish tank type lights.

regards

Gordon

kevindurose    111

I rate t5s but make sure you make the viv a couple of inches wider than the tubes. As I've banged in about for years why do they make fish tanks in multiples of a foot! Why not 3ft 2 or 4ft 2 so you've room for a 3ft or 4ft tube instead of having to use a tube a tube a foot shorter than the tank. You can get the double ballasts pretty cheap of the net and wire it up yourself. I once did a 1.5 m high viv. It was lit with t8 tubes as it was before the days of t5 plants grew like hell. I fitted the tubes inside the viv. See if I can find a link to a pic.

Kev

kwiky    8

I've got a 90cm high Viv and I'm running a t5ho and 2 13 watt jungle dawns and the light is getting to the bottom of the Viv well enough to grow all kinds of mosses and foliage plants. My broms and plants with higher light requirements I've got mounted higher up, as you'd see in nature in a rainforest.

Phil.

• Like 1

Davenjai    119

Thanks guys.Im going to go with one 54w T5 Arcadia D3 forest tube in an Arcadia slim line canopy and two 22w Jungle dawns.

Cheers

Dave

jaize    176

I currently use 1450 lumen 23w CFLs that are, hang on a minute (just measured), showing 600 lux at floor level of my 750mm high viv. Neoregelia broms are very red 10cms off the floor and moss in the mid to upper regions is growing very well.

kevindurose    111

I found the sainsburys home base CFLs are the best, I bought a few brands: tesco and b and q and they've yellowed and look to have gone brittle after 6 months and light levels have faded badly. The homebase ones look as new and still bright.

Dave I would consider just getting standard 6000k t5s off of the net. They'll be a lot cheaper and by the time the lights been through your plants I don't think the light will pretty much similar. With the cheaper ones you could change more often to counteract the light level drop off you'll get with the tubes.

Kev

Davenjai    119

I ended up getting two 22W Jungle dawn LED's and a twin Arcadia 54w T5 starter unit with one arcadia original tropical pro and one Arcadia D3 6% forest tube. To say its bright and colourful is an understatement! The Jungle dawns look fantastic! Ive got most of the background on and a few braches set in place so will start a build thread shortly.Thanks for the advice guys.

Dave

Davenjai    119

Hi Nick,

No you havent missed it.Ive been so busy with work its not even funny.I will do one when i can.Ive got a few pics sorted but i was on windows 7.Not compatible with photobucket! On windows 10 now so its all good.Just need the time to do it!

Cheers

• Like 1