Sign in to follow this  
gouldianmax

Redhead Histrionica Question

gouldianmax    406

Hi

Anyone who is keeping / breeding redhead's. What size viv's do you keep / breed your redhead's in?

I am looking to get some in the near future and would like to know from several people what size viv is successful for yourself for a pair of redheads? I have spoken with several people and seem to get a variety of size viv's being used, so is a small viv or a large viv critical for them or does it not matter. I am just looking for some feedback from anyone keeping them please?

regards

Gordon

Meefloaf    84

without a size but this was posted on facebook earlier, tis rather beautiful. there's also a bloke on facebook called Robert Nhan who keeps some of the loveliest patterned and colourful Redheads around

(i know theres a campaign to get you on facebook, so sorry lol have found so many people on there tho)

11230112_717658518361962_169999508440263

gouldianmax    406

Thanks for the pic. Lovely viv. I tried facebook for 2 weeks after i reluctantly let Richard Bould sign me up. It done my head in phone beeping every two seconds with people posting what and where they had breakfast or got their nails done. Sorry but not for me lol. Jus trying to get some viv size info as some people seem to be using very smal vivs and others really large vivs, just trying to find out what works and what doesnt.

regards

Gordon

• Like 3

gouldianmax    406

I have been told by an anonymous redhead keeper that they are keeping / breeding redheads in a 40 x 40 x 40 viv no problem.

Anyone else?

regards

Gordon

Milesw    191

not saying they are wrong, but just because a frog is breeding doesn't mean it is happy? im sure they could breed in a 30cube, but why would you keep such a expensive/rare/beautiful frog species in a tiny tank? wouldn't you want to go all out and make a huge display for them? give them as much space as possible i say.

• Like 1

Stu    426

Guys,i've already mused in some depth with Gordon my feelings on this. It's a fascinating subject to me.  

Very briefly for me a big viv is the way to go and although I'm a saddo that likes bigger vivs full stop, with this genus of frogs I think there are many side benefits to a big viv,that might plausibly be overlooked. I can't go much further now no time.  But i'm breeding in a 50cm sq base I guess with a reasonable level of success. If I was to try and  influence a new red head keeper I would steer them bigger than this.  I'm equally curious though to see what others say,so please forgive this brevity

best

Stu

gouldianmax    406

Good points from both of you. i was always told you needed a huge viv for a pair of pumilio yet lots of psople breed them successfully for many years in small vivs. I suppose not everyone has the money or space for a massive display viv. I am not looking to say people are right or wrong with their viv sizes, just as i am looking to getting a pair myself shortly i am asking for as many opinions from redhead keepers as possible. Not to say other peoples opinions are not valued, just that my point of this post was directed mainly at people keeping them.

I would like a lot more opinions if possible as I am sure there are literally dozens of people in the u.k. keeping them nowadays.

regards

Gordon

dendros    74

ive got my redheads in min 80 x40x60 and all i can say is they use the whole of the viv at various times and i feel the exercise is much appreciated as if they in relatively small viv there could be a tendency or possibility of them getting overweight plus many experiensed keepers tend to leave youngsters in parents viv quite long time so would think more space necessary to avoid squabbling if they have further offspring but this is all opinion based but personally im happier with bigger vivs !

• Like 1

dendros    74

Another point i faild to mention but found myself is youll be extremely fortunate to get a true pr and may have to buy a small group to sex out a pr in first place,but i wish you good luck on that 1 mate .

gouldianmax    406

Not getting a great response on this. If anyone wants to pm me their viv sizes that would be okay and it would be kept quiet.

regards

Gordon

100cm wide x 50cm deep x 75cm high for a 2.1 trio and one unsexed offspring.  They're not being as productive as I know they can be, but to be honest I've not exactly been 'trying' with them (okay, it's the frogs that do the work but you know what I mean ;-)).  The way they use the viv I would be reluctant do downsize them but, again, they can obviously do well in smaller vivs.

Nick

gouldianmax    406

Thanks for that info Nick. Much appreciated. Do you give them extra uv light each day and if so, what uv bulb do you use?

regards

Gordon

Stu    426

ive got my redheads in min 80 x40x60 and all i can say is they use the whole of the viv at various times and i feel the exercise is much appreciated as if they in relatively small viv there could be a tendency or possibility of them getting overweight plus many experiensed keepers tend to leave youngsters in parents viv quite long time so would think more space necessary to avoid squabbling if they have further offspring but this is all opinion based but personally im happier with bigger vivs !

Ty I'm right with you here the two reasons you quote fitness/weight plus how the number in viv can increase to a huge extent with young in the parental viv are primary factors to me.  I would also muse a small viv might rule out the brom option.Guys I know we can rear large oophaga in film cans etc and but I'm not completely comfortable with having this option removed if I want to use it.

Actually my experiences,lead me to ponder if one could produce the highest quality of offspring in such a small viv Gordon on every level I don't know it all and am still learning so much from our particular frogs.  But I have to say the more I ponder this the more I'd want to try and convince the next keeper (you gordon in this case but obviously others too) to put these frogs in a bigger viv. Going further I think the this viv needs to really be pondered with regards to lay out to give these frogs a real hard core jungle gym.  Different levels even creating places where frogs are almost forced to jump as they move upwards would also be incredibly important in my eyes. Buddy I just can't stress enough how important I feel a good vertical climbing frame and one of a greater height then 40cm is for me. Obviously as with Ty my personal feelings/opinions being aired here. 

Miles i'm also with you on your first post,but my reasons are more centered not so much on expense or beauty but the overal health and well being of the occupants,simply put I just can't see a way to provide the best conditions one plausibly could in a 40cube.  I also completely argee with your statement or question ;)  about a frog breeding meaning it is happy,they can very much breed when stressed,I guess that last chance to leave a genetic mark on the planet because the world (in mr frog's eye's might end) is why we often hear reports of frogs laying after being moved. I'll also add that this type of breeding doesn't imply success at all to me or in anyway give us the chance of the highest quality young stock.  

So to sum up for me at least there is one serious goal that I am chasing ie the highest quality of care and environment for the parents leading to the absolute strongest fittest young stock I could produce.I'll be very clear here that I am very open minded to how others keep their frogs and always keen to learn from them and am not knocking a guy having success with such small vivs. But I'm very clear in my mind that for me at least this would not give me the best chance of achieving my goals and I guess is the sole reason to post here  I feel I would be doing these frogs a diservice  in my eyes if I didn't try to influence choice of viv size .  This opinion is one I'd probably express anyway what ever the frog :D  in this case it's one taught to me simply by watching the little horrors and is compounded by the fact they are oophaga,where oh so often kids grow up with mum and dad in said viv,which has to be of adequate size in my eyes.

Caviat: again viv sizes are something I am a bit emotional about :P , I have tried to rein it in,but then again I have very good reasons driven by logic and observation for the above opinion,please forgive if passion is showing here, :rolleyes:

seeya

Stu

• Like 3

Thanks for that info Nick. Much appreciated. Do you give them extra uv light each day and if so, what uv bulb do you use?

regards

Gordon

I know better than to get into a discussion about UV!!  :D

No, I don't provide and IMO these frogs do not differ to others in terms of their UV requirements - i.e. desirable but not essential.  If I could do a complete re-design and had unlimited cash I would build in UV, but....

Needing UV for the red to come through is a myth - this guy had none....  Genetic?  Dietary?  I don't know, but not reliant on UV exposure either way.

18713073739_57ebe437e3_c.jpg

• Like 4

Skoobanut    148

Gordan my histri vivs are no more than 60 high. I've got 2@ 90x60x50 and 1@ 50x60x50. I used to have 90x90x50, I felt the 90 high they were very clumsy and were forever falling. I give mine a uv blast for 20 mins once a week and they seem to bask in it but when they have had enough they retreat back into shade

I had a viv set up with red heads in, no uv for couple

Months, few froglets legs didn't come all the way out, I now put uv back on them and froglets are good again, not sure if the uv had any thing to do with it or my red heads tried raising to many, but I wouldn't turn it off again..

• Like 1