Sign in to follow this  
sirk

Ranitomeya Variabilis Eggs

sirk    73

My new variabilis have just laid 3 eggs, I heard them calling yesterday (cant believe how quiet). They have been in the viv 4 days now and its only a 30x30x45 temporary viv so I could keep an eye on them. Should I move them to there new viv now or wait to see what happens to the eggs? I would prefer to keep them in the smaller one for a week or 2 more but they seem to have settled in well. I will be moving a lot of the plants over when I transfer them. any suggestions would be appreciated

DSC_0187.jpg   DSC_0094.jpgDSC_0184.jpgDSC_0185.jpg

Cheers

kris

• Like 2

kroot    253

With mine, I leave them to deposit the tads and then raise them myself. Small delicups of water with a leaf in seems to work as deposit sites for mine. They seem to spend up to 3 days wandering around with a tad on their back, so don't panic!

• Like 1

sirk    73

Ok how long until they hatch? And should I move them to the bigger viv or leave them in this on so I can keep an eye on things?

kroot    253

Time seems to vary. Does seem to be faster if temp is over 25C. Mine seem to take 2 weeks or so before any real tadness appears.

• Like 1

sirk    73

Great thanks for the advice, these frogs are fast becoming my favourites. They are always out, active and have such a cute call:-D

Cheers

Kris

kroot    253

Sounds better than mine! Just means morphing will be a bit slower. Mine have dipped to 16c and still okay. The new vents are same temp and won't stop laying eggs! I do move the deposited tads to a warmer viv (26c).

sirk    73

update: 2 of the eggs seem to have gone missing but other seems to be developing ok so will let nature take its course and see how it goes. until something happens with this one i will remove any future eggs and wait to move adults to the bigger viv

• Like 1

sirk    73

Lol found the other 2, just could not see them from the front looking from top all 3 still there :-D

sirk    73

Seen male with a tad on his back day befor yesterday so put in a couple of water tubs. Unfortunately he likes the look of the broms to drop them off in, found 2 of the 3 in separate broms and the 3rd was last seen on his back but no idea where it is now. So looks like these 3 will have to stay in the viv :-)