Sign in to follow this  
Razzmatazz

What Do You Guys Do?

Razzmatazz    19

Hi all,

I'm thrilled to say that this time last week deep inside one of the broms in my ranitomeya variabilis terrarium I noticed frogspawn. Once scooped out into a Petri dish I noticed there were two bad as nothing had started forming and they were a white/ grey colour (guessing fungus was setting in).

I do have five however and they are fantastic little things. My question is this, do you slice the sac at all to help them escape or do you leave them to it? Ive seen mixed opinions about this elsewhere so wanted to ask on here.

Here's a pic of what one looks like. I'm guessing maybe 12-13 ish days old?

057a4a9896a6d801da825c97afcc640b_zps8c9d

Just leave them to it, they will emerge when they're ready.  On the odd occasion that a well developed tad doesn't make it out, well, there's clearly something wrong....

Nick

Razzmatazz    19

Cheers Nick,

I always thought leaving them was best as there wouldn't be a helping hand in nature.

It was only when I saw a post by a guy in the states saying how he lost a couple if he didn't cut the sacs that it made me wonder.

Ryan.

It's interesting that some frogs do seem to give in-tact eggs 'a squeeze'.  I don't know how common this is and presumably the eggs must be pretty close to rupture for a frog to be able to pop them, but it definitely happens.  Before this fantastica went into the FC the eggs were in tact and you can see the tads getting on-board in this movie.  So the dad may help tads out of eggs on occasion, but I still think it's best to leave them to it ;-)

Best,

Nick

kevindurose    111

I usually give them a 1 second shake and they often pop open. Sometimes this happens on its own when you pick them up to look at them and the vibration causes them to pop. I suppose when the male touches the egg it has the same effect. Maybe the tad waits till it feels the vibration when the male arrives to transport and then makes a little wriggle to get out of the egg, who knows.

Razzmatazz    19

Update time.

All five tads are doing well although they seem to be taking a lifetime to form their back legs. They started emerging two weeks ago and are still no larger today. I feed various pellets, new era, tetra prima, hikari marine s and jmc high protein pellets everyday and I do water changes everyday. I know temp has a big part to play and room temp is 20.9 degrees centigrade which I know is low.

Do the size of the pots we put them in have any effects on growth? I keep them in the small party cups with the top half chopped off with around an inch of water. Do I need to put them into larger cups or simply fill the cups they are in now higher? Or do I need to just chill. I estimate they are around day 50 now.

Here's some pics.

fe04e407db46326ad04b2bd55a5261a3_zpstbdm

87a3f4e2a685ab181001950521b5eb86_zpsjqqo

90fa736ad2c7974adce0d2139dfa1789_zps6vpq

gouldianmax    406

Hi

I keep my tads at around 25 to 28 degrees during the day and it never drops below 22 at night. Mine all morph much faster than yours seem to be doing and i would put that down to your low temperatures.

regards

Gordon

Milesw    191

i keep my ranitomeya tads are 20-22 degrees, yes it does take 3-4 months for them to come ootw, but i find they come out a lot stronger and well developed.

Dar    307

I read an article the other day about the tad rearing times, can't remember where now, but it was saying temps in the higher ranges have the tads morphing quicker but the lower temps are slower but the lower temps seemed to produce larger tadpoles and froglets. I though, have never experimented

Dar    307

I read an article the other day about the tad rearing times, can't remember where now, but it was saying temps in the higher ranges have the tads morphing quicker but the lower temps are slower but the lower temps seemed to produce larger tadpoles and froglets. I though, have never experimented

gouldianmax    406

Interesting point that Miles about your temperatures. I keep my tads temps higher as when i kept them at lower temperatures i found the opposite to what you found! I found at lower temps the mortality rate was higher, whereas now i rarely lose a tadpole at all and the tads seem much stronger and larger.

I guess we all work with what works best for each of us.

regards

Gordon

• Like 1

Dar    307

Your right there Gordon... One thing with this hobby is that there is no right way to do any part of it, only the way that suits you best

• Like 1