Sign in to follow this  
Dar

Granulifera Legality?

Dar    307

Just looking around for some info regarding these frogs? Are they in the same boat as whitefoots and redheads ect. Or have there been legal imports of these?

R1ch13    8

After seeing more and more of the larger Oophaga species popping up in collections as of late. I was spurred on to do a little research into past legal exportation of various species...

Regarding the O. granulifera;

If you look at the the CITES trade database there has been 22 entries for the species between 1988 and 2011. These do not all pertain to live exports but exportation of prepared bodies too.

9 live exports of varying numbers, the majority being  <10 animals have reached Europe - namely Netherlands, Denmark and Germany.

This resulted in a documented 398 specimens of O. granulifera legally leaving the wild of Costa Rica over a period of 23 years. Which arguably doesn't necessarily reflect the number which entered Europe alive...

Anyway, the bombshell - 394 of these were exported and documented by CITES for Scientific use only! With an export to Denmark of 4 documented for use in a Zoological setting. Whether some of these animals/offspring of them have leaked into private collections is another question. But it would still make keeping these animals illegal...

The only export on the database; that to my untrained eye has any sort of notoriety in regards to the hobby is 6 CB animals were exported to Germany from Hungary in 1992. How they got to Hungary for private keeping I don't know but they were ok-ed for export to Germany by CITES it would seem.

Also worth mentioning is that Costa Rica only just reopened after a long period of being shut to commercial exports. Just adding another layer of suspicion to anybody currently keeping these and claiming them to be of legal origin...

The case is the same for this species over in the USA. Ownership of legal lines of this species have been touted on about by many, but it has become apparent that they also entered the hobby illegally via research institutions.

Regards,
Richie

• Like 1

Dar    307

Hi Dar, just a note, these are legal in Germany but not in Holland just in case you're tempted at the Kikkerdag lol it was these that nearly got some people arrested!

Haha, no no, I was offered some juvies potentially at Hamm but not sure about them yet :)

• Like 1

Stu    426

Dar it's been rumoured for a while now that legal grannies will be imported,in the near(subjective) future, I wasn't actually sure if this had already happened,things are now much clearer thanks to Rich's great post above. I can't find any details of dates though,plus i'm sure you will have seen this link already,(I think it's actually posted here).  http://saurian.net/Costa-Rican-Frogs.html. The facility working with Surian definitely seems to be breeding them though,but I can find no real details of what morphs,only a rumoured new one.

Stu 

• Like 1

Brendan    34

Hay!

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I just wondered if any one knew how many granny morphs there are? And do these morphs represent different locales, and should be kept separate like all other dart frogs?

Also have any been legally exported yet?

auratusross    126

Depending on how much time you have, here is basically all there is to know at present. http://elib.tiho-hannover.de/dissertations/brusao_ws12.pdf If you scroll down to page 44 you will see images showing the variation between populations. 

Here is a website in the UK that is selling Granulifera. They have them as "blue/red" and "red" (thats not enough info for me to make a purchase though) http://grangereptiles.co.uk/available/amphibians.php As for their legality and proof of origins you would have to contact the seller as i havent myself.

The problem with buying something described as "blue/red" as its discription is you simply have to keep the frogs seperate from all others to prevent the chance of mixing locales and hybridisation etc even then, if you have a pair you still might be doing so without more information.

If in the future like has been mentioned, Graniulifera were to be available that were also "blue/red" in coloration you still couldnt breed them and claim them "pure" or of a distinct locale/morph as like any dart frog (especially oophaga) coloration is basically useless when trying to give a definitive ID on a frog. Yes for now a "blue/red" Granulifera is a "blue/red" Granulifera to many, but if you use leucomelas as an example then a "yellow/black" leucomelas is no longer enough information to give especially now different morphs of leucomelas are becoming readily available.

My opinion on the subject only, Ross

Brendan    34

Thanks for that Ross, yeah I saw the ones on the grange website, that's what spurred the question.

I wouldn't buy them on those descriptions alone anyway, it's just last I heard there were no legal imports, and not much info on locale variations. Hopefully the legally export soon as I'd love some "blue/red" & "green granny" or Osa Peninsula & Damitas ;)