dendros

Temperature For Mels Fruitfly

dendros    74

Ive had very eratic results with my mel cultures lately and not sure what their needs are temp wise,i thought they liked it warm but could well be wrong,ive also been plagued with mites in explosive proportions,ive now bought some bird mite spray contain permethrin to spray around culture pots etc,each pot few cms  apart not touching,any advice appreciated,hyde flys seem much easier to culture i dont suppose a dwarf variety ? Ty

dendros    74

ive got them all over the room some quite high up on top of vivs also got pots on shelves,i keep hydes 1 side of room mels other, ive tried to stop any crossbreeding of flies and cover mel pot lids with kitchenroll as extra safegaurd still the mites get in !

Nick    447

try keeping them in a plastic box with a bit of water at the bottom this will help with the humidity which makes a big difference. To reduce mites spreading add a drop of fairy liquid which will break surface tension in the water so mites don't float.

• Like 1

B'wood Bob    5

I've had mites in both melanogaster and hydei cultures and have started to use the bird mite spray recently. I spray it onto a cloth and wrap the cloth when it's dried around the base of the pot. The pot of melanogaster started a month ago and chucked this week had hundreds of dead mites in it, so hopefully it'll help stop them spreading to new cultures. The shelf is also covered with paper sprayed with anti mite spray, and the pots kept away from each other.

My cultures do boom faster if kept under the fish tank rather than out on a shelf where it's cooler - probably around 20-23 degrees C under the tank.

Good luck with the attempts to get rid of the mites!

frogfreak    17

i keep hydes 1 side of room mels other, ive tried to stop any crossbreeding of flies and cover mel

Just so you know, Hydei and Mel's can't crossbreed. They can actually be co-cultured together. The Mel's emerger first and a week later the Hydei with start. I find the best temps to be from 75-78F with around 55% humidity, so they don't dry out.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I always make the food mixture a little more damp with mels, I never have a problem with mites even though I have over 50 pots on the go and old pots hanging around. I put this down to the free range gecko's but that's just a muse. I keep my mels low dwn in the frog from and H on the top.

kev    78

ive found since bringing my cultures into full light in the room the mites have seemed to have gone on the missing list!!!!

dendros    74

every now and again i get so called wingless mels that fly when lid opened which made me assume they had been mated by hydeis ?ive now found golden hydeis work well for me and seem slightly smaller than black and very prolific ! ill try keeping in lighter conds now as well thanks for advice appreciated . Ty